At Morton, Ill., they have a Pumpkin Festival. It is a big deal and a lot of fun. There is also a pumpkin chuckin’ contest. There’s all sizes and shapes. Our dear friends, Bill and Eileen Knapp, live in Morton. Eileen always sends me a book of activities. Pumpkin is popular starting in October. This recipe is a new way to fix a pizza. It won first place in the junior division. Paiton Florey made this at the festival. I love making this. It’s different from pumpkin pie. Thanks, Paiton.
Crust: 2 cups crushed ginger snap cookies
4 tablespoons butter (melted)
• Combine cookie and butter; press into a circle on cookie sheet covered with parchment. Chill while preparing layers
• Layer 1: 1 - 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
• 1⁄4 cup sugar. Cream together in small bowl and set aside.
• Layer 2: 1 - 5.1 box vanilla instant pudding
1 cup half and half
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
pinch of salt
1 cup pumpkin
• Blend pudding and half and half; whisk in pumpkin and spices. Chill in refrigerator 15 minutes. Assembly: carefully spread layer 1 on crust. Spoon on layer 2; spread to edge. Top pizza with 1 cup Cool Whip. Drizzle with caramel ice cream topping and garnish with pecan halves. Chill until ready to serve.
Jackie Lindley is a great-grandmother and retired Clark County, Ill., farmer. Send comments and recipes to her at 20472 E. 500th Road, West Union, IL 62477.