We have different ways of using leftover mashed potatoes. Husband Gene’s favorite is potato cakes. You also can make potato salad.
But, did you know that you also can make candy?!
I worked with a woman who made this candy. We had to taste it before she would tell us what it was. LaDonna did that a lot.
Going through Mom’s recipes, I found that she had a recipe for this candy. LaDonna left her candy plain. Mom covered hers with chocolate.
Mashed Potato Candy
1 cup mashed potatoes, cool or use leftovers
1 heaping tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 pound flaked coconut (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 to 2 pounds powered sugar
• Add vanilla and butter to potatoes, then work in powered sugar a little at a time. Dough will be very stiff.
• Shape into balls by rolling between the palms of the hand. Place on waxed paper.
• When firm and dry, dip into chocolate dip mixture.
• Melt 1/4 pound paraffin with 12 ounces chocolate chips in double boiler.
• Dip candy in mixture; drain on waxed paper.
Jackie Lindley is a great-grandmother and retired Clark County, Ill., farmer. Send comments and recipes to her at 20472 E. 500th Road, West Union, IL 62477.