News From Terre Haute, Indiana

July 21, 2013

CHRIS DAVIES: Eat less of what you already eat and move more

Chris Davies
Special to the Tribune-Star

---- — Fad diets are nothing new. There is no question most will help one lose weight. But do fad diets help the loser permanently keep it off?

My description of a fad diet is a plan that contains one or more of the following: encourages weight loss while not adhering to common everyday foods, contains no sound science-based educational component, promotes the use of supplements or regimented eating plans, de-emphasizes basic nutrition and/or exercise, contains no long term weight maintenance plan. In other words, any plan that promotes fast or easy weight loss is a fad diet.

Everything mentioned above may get you results, albeit short term. Your solution for permanent weight loss is eating less of what you already eat and move more in the form of consistent exercise. That is all you need to know about long-term weight loss. There is nothing fast or easy about it. Getting started is tough. Staying the course and maintaining long-term weight loss is difficult. But it can be done.

I still maintain that Weight Watchers is the best program out there for long-term weight loss. It offers an educational component that other plans do not. Weight Watchers teaches you how to eat normal everyday foods. It also promotes plenty of nutrition, fiber and exercise, all this without requiring you to purchase pre-packaged branded foods.

Are many of you turned off to weekly meetings? If you object to meetings, make a deal with yourself. Reach your goal weight in a specified amount of time and vow never to return to the meetings. If you are one of the many success stories, you may even become an instructor. Weight Watchers offers an online program, too.

It is easy to let yourself go and gain weight. Losing the weight requires tremendous commitment not just a casual shake, pill or supplement. Like it or not, the Weight Watcher’s program is designed to instill long-term commitment to a healthy lifestyle. Remember, knowledge is power. If you learn and understand how to eat, you stand a good chance of maintaining permanent weight loss. Most can’t do it alone.

Remember, most objectives in life do not require much book smarts to accomplish them. Many goals, including weight loss, require roughly 20 percent brains, i.e. knowledge, and the remaining 80 percent is consistent positive behavior. The 20 percent part is education. Education that is based on sound research and long-term weight loss results. The remainder is a consistent behavior that implements the 20 percent knowledge you obtained.

While you are making the commitment to weight loss, you may as well start an exercise program. Exercise will help you lose fat and increase muscle. The fat will come off easier with consistent exercise. As an added bonus, you will become healthier through exercise and weight loss. You’ll be less likely to die prematurely and add more zest to your years.

Tired of being fat and feeling crummy? Do something about it. Only you are standing in the way of changing your life and improving your health.

Chris Davies, MS, owns Fitness Solutions, Inc. The new location will be revealed soon! He can be reached at Fitsolutions1@msn.com.