The League of Women Voters of Vigo County has once again collaborated with Indiana State University, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College and Ivy Tech Community College-Wabash Valley — along with numerous businesses and individuals — for the second annual Women’s Equality Day.
This event, taking place at 6 p.m. Aug. 26, is open to all men and women, and celebrates the 93rd anniversary of women’s obtaining the right to vote.
This year’s theme, “Climbing the Ladder to Equality,” revisits the history leading up to the passage of the 19th Amendment and pertinent current issues.
In addition, there will be speeches before and after a march. Commemorative buttons and T-shirts will be given to those in attendance while supplies last.
Participants are asked to arrive for pre-march activities at 5:30 p.m. in parking Lot R, just south of the Debs House on Eighth and Sycamore streets.
A tram will be available for those who wish to attend, but are unable to walk the distance of the route.
Voter registration and informational booths will be available on the ISU Quad at the end of the march. There will also be refreshments and freebies. Organizers ask that all participants bring toiletry items for donation to CODA and Next Step.
The parade route is:
• Organize in the parking lot south of the Debs House, between Eighth and Ninth streets at Sycamore Street.
• Proceed west to Eighth Street.
• Take Eighth Street south to Eagle Street.
• Follow Eagle Street west to Seventh Street.
• Go south on Seventh Street to Cherry Street.
• Take Cherry Street west to Sixth Street.
• Go north on Sixth Street to the cul-de-sac near Gillum Hall, then congregate in the grassy Quad area.
Schedule of events
• 6 p.m. — Welcome, Girl Scout Color Guard, choir, organizing committee, Mayor Duke Bennett and spouse, reading of the 19th Amendment and “The Women’s Movement: a Brief History”
• 6:15 p.m. — March
• 6.45 p.m. — Post-march activities.
Guest speakers include Cheri Bradley, ISU; Ann Elise Parks, WTWO-WAWV; Valerie Hart-Craig, ISU/NAACP; and Leah Allman, Ivy Tech.
Presentation of roses
Information tables, with refreshments
• 8:30 p.m. Iron-Jawed Angels, Cunningham memorial events organization.