TERRE HAUTE —
The Terre Haute Day Nursery Endowment Fund of the Wabash Valley Community Foundation awarded more than $32,000 in grants Jan. 16. The Endowment Fund awards funding to nonprofit organizations that serve children in the Wabash Valley. The grants provide support for tuition assistance and/or program development specific to child care.
Those receiving funding include:
• Hamilton Center Early Head Start Child Care, $2,000, art and music programs
• United Child Care Center, $11,500, tuition scholarships
• Valley Child Development Center, $4,800, facility security system
• Vigo County CASA Kids, $9,000, daycare funding for abused/neglected children
• Woods Day Care, $5,000, tuition assistance for families with financial need
Founded in 1893, the Terre Haute Day Nursery is one of the oldest day nurseries in the United States. For more than 100 years, the nursery served the community by providing low-cost, quality care for children of working parents. After closing its doors in 1997, community members established the Terre Haute Day Nursery Association Endowment Fund to continue to support local childcare programs.
Applications for the next grant cycle are due Oct. 1. The application and guidelines can be accessed via the Foundation’s website at www.wvcf.com, or by calling Kelli Miller at Community Foundation at 812-232-2234.