Special to the Tribune-Star
TERRE HAUTE —
When we had our Manhart-Nichols reunion, Karen Bailey brought sweet fruit salsa.
The kids wanted to know if I knew how to make cinnamon crisp made out of tortillas. I told them that I had a cousin (Karen) who gave me the recipe she uses. She also made these to go with her fruit salsa. Both were so good. Hope you enjoy both. I’m also going to rewrite the fruit salsa.
10 (10-inch) flour tortillas (she used 20 small ones)
Butter flavor cooking spray
2 cups cinnamon sugar (can try sweetener for sugar)
• Coat one side of tortillas with spray. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Cut into wedges.
• Bake 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes until crisp, but not too brown. Cool, serve with fruit salsa.
Sweet Fruit Salsa
1 golden delicious apple
1 red delicious apple
8 ounces raspberries
1 pound strawberries
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 tablespoons any flavor fruit preserves
• Peel, core and dice fruit.
• Chop all fruit in food processor or electric chopper.
• Mix with sugars and preserves and refrigerate.
• You can adjust sugars based on sweetness of fruit and your taste.
Jackie Lindley is a great-grandmother and retired Clark County, Ill., farmer. Send comments and recipes to her at 20472 E. 500th Road, West Union, IL 62477.