TERRE HAUTE —
Everyone loves the Neil Simon comedy “The Odd Couple,” featuring Felix and Oscar, an unlikely pair of roommates.
Simon reworked the play as a female version, this time featuring Olive Madison, a successful television producer, and Florence Unger, a neat freak who’s just left her husband.
The comedy will be staged at Community Theatre of Terre Haute from April 13-15 and April 20-22, and will be directed by Kevin Ward.
Auditions for the comedy will be staged at 7 p.m. Monday and Tuesday at the theater, 1431 S. 25th St.
There are roles for two men, five women, and one of either gender, and all roles fall in the 30-plus age range. Parts to be cast are as follows:
• Olive Madison is a successful television producer, she is intelligent, attractive, and wisecracking, with a good sense of humor – and she’s a complete slob when it comes to her surroundings. She has an encyclopedic understanding of sports, is a complete pushover for her ex-husband, and a good friend.
• Florence (Flo) Unger is attractive, very well groomed, neat and has just broken up with her husband. She takes herself very seriously, likes to clean, decorate and cook and is very good at all three.
Flo is also intelligent, although she doesn’t realize it, warm-hearted (in her own way), and has no sense of humor (at least about herself) — she does not make jokes. She can also, without meaning to, make Olive feel guilty.
• Sylvie is desperately trying to stop smoking, and so sucks on lollipops or chews gum. (Occasionally her jittery hands reach for a cigarette.) She can get irritated with her friends, but has a good sense of humor, especially about her husband. Oh, yes, she is pregnant in the last scene.
• Renee is Sylvie’s best friend, and can be very plain-spoken, especially when she points out Olive’s failings as a hostess — and then Flo’s. She is single and dating a doctor.
• Vera is very sweet, very nice, somewhat spacey, and, although quite smart, is often a step or two behind her friends.
She’s very funny, but doesn’t realize it. Vera is married to Harry — and they are off to Miami in the middle of July because they can get better rates.
• Mickey is a police officer, who is down-to-earth, plain talking, and has a good understanding of people. Sometimes she can take the “police bit” too far, and she tries very hard to be in control of all situations.
• Manolo Costazuela is handsome, very well groomed, and Spanish with a Castilian accent. He is every woman’s dreamdate and showers both Olive and Flo with attention. He must have good comic timing, as he gets very emotional. He is sensitive and appreciates Florence’s sensitivity.
• Jesus (pronounced Hay zoos) Costazuela is Manolo’s younger brother — also very handsome, well-groomed, excellent posture, very romantic — and he also gets very emotional, and truly appreciates Florence.