TERRE HAUTE —
Golfers and fans of the sport will have a chance to watch the pros in action later in the week in Indiana.
Web.com Tour regulars and others will vie for honors in the United Leasing Championship starting Thursday at Victoria National in the Evansville area.
One of the latest additions to the field is John Daly, who has been in several events on the tour this season. Two other former PGA Tour winners of majors to be in the tournament are Lee Janzen and Todd Hamilton, who won a British Open.
Cloverdale native Chad Collins is in the field along with Brett Melton.
• The Brazil Open was played last weekend at Forest Park. It was a good weekend for winner Dave Williams and another frustrating event for Ezra Evans.
Williams shot a stellar 65 the first day and finished with 136. He was one shot better than Evans, who had subpar rounds of 68 and 69 for 137.
Evans lost in a playoff a year ago in the tournament.
• Coaches hired — Several high school coaching slots have been filled.
Ted O’Brien is the new boys basketball coach at South Spencer. He has been on the staff at Gibson Southern.
Jarrod Duff has been hired as the football coach at Cloverdale. He is a Greencastle High School grad and formerly was on the football staff and was the girls basketball coach at GHS.
David George is the new softball coach at Princeton. He had a 141-120 mark in nine seasons at Evansville Central.
Ryan Mack has been named the boys basketball coach at Shelbyville. He has been on the staff at New Mexico State as graduate assistant and director of basketball operations.
In a related move, Jeffersonville coach Chad Gilbert has been named athletic director at Charlestown, his hometown.
The former Indiana State player, who was on a championship team at Southern Indiana, guided the Jeffersonville girls to a Class 4A championship and the Jeffersonville boys to a regional title last season.
• Evansville basketball player Jordan Nelson has requested his transfer. His departure leaves the Aces with 12 roster players including five incoming freshmen.
Another cager, Paul Jesperson, will leave Virginia and transfer to Northern Iowa; Joey King is leaving Drake to go to Minnesota.
• Ellis Park will have 29 days of live thoroughbred racing, The season opens July 4 and closes Labor Day with racing Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
• When Pittsburgh defeated Cincinnati last week, it marked the first loss in 22 starts for Mat Latos, dating back to last August.
• Elkhart Central was ranked 10th in the final USA Today prep baseball poll. The Blazers edged Indianapolis Cathedral 1-0 for the Class 4A title.
• Wes Lunt, the starting quarterback for Oklahoma State, has enrolled at Illinois. He is a former Illinois prep standout.
Tom Reck may be contacted by telephone at 812-232-3231, by email at email@example.com or by mail at 4284 S. Fifth St., Apt. 3, Terre Haute, IN, 47802.