Special to the Tribune-Star
TERRE HAUTE —
The season has just about run down for college and high school athletes and teams in the area.
Indiana State baseball ended a banner year last week while individuals will vie for honors in the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships.
On the prep level, South Putnam goes for a second straight Class 2A softball championship, meeting Adams Central in the state finals.
Shamakak will take on South Central in the Class A South Semistate baseball game at Jasper with the winner earning a spot in the title game.
Boys golf teams began postseason play on Monday, seeking spots in regional tournaments.
Linton, Terre Haute North and Owen Valley teams will be at Country Oaks for one regional along with individual qualifiers Ryan Cahill of Terre Haute South, Nathan Pirtle of Sullivan and Dylan Nesty of Northview.
Andrew Weisheit of Rockville, Dalton Weaver and Braeden Hollowell of North Vermillion have qualified for the Lafayette Regional.
At the time this column was being written, we did not have the results from the Martinsville Regional. We hope at least one team and/or individuals from the area earned regional slots in that event.
Good luck to all of our teams and athletes this week.
• Coaches named – Coaching decisions have been made at the high school and college level in Indiana and Illinois.
Eastern Illinois has promoted associate head coach Lee Buchanan to women's basketball coach. He previously had coached at Missouri-St. Louis and Brescia.
Warren Central defensive coordinator Steve Tutsie has been named interim football coach. He coached the Warriors two years and guided the team to a 5A state championship.
Tom Slyder has resigned as Anderson University basketball coach to take a new position at North Park in Chicago. He had a 103-85 mark in seven seasons at Anderson.
Josh Forsyth is the new boys basketball coach at Mattton (Ill.) High School.
He had been at Windsor and formerly was the coach at Cumberland.
Isaac Chew has resigned as assistant at Illinois to join the staff at Marquette.
• Tom-Cattin' It – Evansville Memorial has won another girls tennis championship.
The Tigers bested Carmel 3-2 in the semifinals and defeated Indianapolis Cathedral 3-2 in the final match.
• I'll Have Another will try to become the 12th winner of the Triple Crown in the Belmont Stakes on Saturday.
• Danica Patrick is on a three-month hiatus from NASCAR cup races after finishing 30th in the Coca-Cola 600.
She will continue to do Nationwide events and has been doing OK in those races.
• The Crossroads Classic for state basketball teams will be Dec. 15. Indiana will play Butler and Purdue takes on Notre Dame.
• Former Tennesseee basketball coach Pat Summitt has received the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
• April Webb of Sullivan will play volleyball at Vincennes University.
• Thomas Pieters, a sophomore at Illinois, is the NCAA 2012 golf champ. He won the title by three strokes over two other players.
Tom Reck may be contacted by telephone at (812) 232-3231, by email at email@example.com or by mail at 4284 South 5th Street, Apt. 3, Terre Haute, IN 47802.