TERRE HAUTE —
\It is the only Friday the 13th of the fall, and some interesting high school football games are scheduled in the area on that date.
It will be the battle of unbeatens at two sites.
In Indiana, it will be 3-0 North Vermillion at 3-0 North Central in a matchup of ranked Class A teams. Both teams have scored lots of points (NV 170, NC 188) and the Falcons have yet to give up a point.
Brayden Woodard of NV and Chase VanSchoyck and Dillon Bailey of NC will be objects of attention for the defenses.
Linton is 3-0 and has outscored opponents 143-44. The Miners face West Vigo in the last of four games to be played in Lucas Oil Stadium in Indy. Northview and Sullivan both are 2-1 and meet in the first game at 11 a.m. Owen Valley plays Edgewood and Brown County takes on South Vermillion in the others.
In Illinois, it will be 2-0 Lawrenceville at 2-0 Robinson in Little Illini Conference action. Jason Richart rushed for 335 yards and scored five touchdowns for the Maroons in their 53-6 victory over Red Hill.
Casey is another unbeaten team in Illinois. The Warriors will be at home against 1-1 Palestine-Hutsonville.
Marshall picked up a victory last week and will go for two in a row at Olney.
Terre Haute North and South play their first Conference Indiana games against new opponents. North plays host to unbeaten Southport and South is at 2-1 Perry Meridian.
In a shootout earlier in the season, Perry Meridian outscored Decatur Central 83-78.
• • •
• Tom-Cattin’ It — Eastern Illinois bested Southern Illinois 40-37 in two overtimes. Taylor Duncan of Marshall rushed for 100 yards and scored a touchdown in overtime.
• Wrestling has been voted back into the Olympic Games but the bid of baseball and softball to return was not successful.
• Roger Brown, a former Indiana Pacer great from the ABA era, was inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame on Sunday. He died in 1997.
• Texas coach Mack Brown canned defensive coordinator Manny Diaz after BYU rushed for 550 yards in a 40-21 victory against the Longhorns. It was the most ever gained against Texas.
• Illinois was an eight-point underdog against Cincinnati but surprised the oddsmakers and other folks with a 45-17 victory. The Illini are one of nine undefeated teams in the Big Ten and will face a strong Washington team this week.
• Blue II, the mascot of Butler teams, has died at the age of nine.
• Belmont coach Rick Byrd is the new chairman of the NCAA men’s basketball rules committee.
• Trevon Bluiett of Park Tudor says he will play basketball for UCLA and Steve Alford. The 6-foot-6 senior made his commitment after visiting the campus.
n Earl Webb set the record for doubles in the major leagues in 1931 with 67 for the Boston Red Sox and the mark will not be broken this season.
Tom Reck may be contacted by telephone at (812) 232-3231, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at 4284 South 5th Street, Apt. 3, Terre Haute, IN, 47802.