Matt Haltom finished first individually in 18 minutes and 40 seconds Thursday afternoon as host Riverton Parke won its first-ever boys championship at the Wabash River Conference cross country meet.
The Panther boys finished nine points ahead of Attica and 19 ahead of Seeger in what became a three-way race. Seeger was dominant in the girls race, taking five of the top seven places for a near-perfect score of 19.
At Riverton Parke
Wabash River Conference meet
Team scores — Riverton Parke 38, Attica 47, Seeger 57, North Vermillion 104, Fountain Central 109, Rockville incomplete.
Top 10 — Matt Haltom (RP) 18:40, Conner Million (S) 18:43, Luther Mathas (RP) 18:51, Kenny Little (A) 19:08, Jon Flanary (NV) 19:19, Brody Zeigler (A) 19:31, Jacob Warrick (S) 19:34, Austin Falls (RP) 19:44, Clayton Corey (FC) 19:46, Tanner Henry (A) 20:14.
Team scores — Seeger 19, Fountain Central 51, North Vermillion 82, Covington 119, Attica 126, Riverton Parke 136, Rockville incomplete, Turkey Run incomplete.
Top 10 — Cara Fowler (S) 21:39, Bailey Hayes (R) 21:56, Morgan Grubb (FC) 21:58, Becca Haussin (S) 22:32, Lydia Collins (S) 22:42, Meghan Hennesey (S) 22:51, Courtney Million (S) 23:02, Taylor Turchi (NV) 23:15, Bobby Jo Edwards (S) 23:34, Hannah Gaylor (FC) 23:48.
Next — All teams compete in sectional meets on Tuesday.
• Martinsville 3, Terre Haute South 0 — At Martinsville, the host Artesians prevailed 25-17, 25-7, 25-16 in a battle of potential sectional opponents.
No other details were available at press time.
• Edgewood 3, Sullivan 0 — At Sullivan, the host Golden Arrows played well at times but came out on the short end of their final Western Indiana Conference match of the season.
Edgewood 25 25 25
Sullivan 13 21 18
Highlights — For Sullivan, Taylor Shake had 18 assists, 8 digs, a kill, 9 points and an ace; Bailee Powell 15 digs, 5 kills, an assist and 3 points; Abigail Hornback 9 digs, 5 kills, a block, 3 points and an ace; Jaleigh Gilham 13 digs and 3 points; Jackie Bezy 9 kills and 6 blocks; Kelsey Badger 10 digs, a point and an ace; Tori Stamper a dig and 3 points; Cierra McCammon a dig, a block and an assist; and Sydney Chapman a kill and a dig.
JV — Edgewood won 25-19, 25-20.
Next — Sullivan (10-19, 3-3 WIC) hosts Terre Haute North in the King of the Court game Wednesday.
• Sullivan 9, North Knox 0 — In the Class A North Knox Sectional at Bicknell, Tucker Smith fired in six goals and added three assists to lead the Golden Arrows to victory Wednesday.
Sullivan will play for the sectional championship at noon Saturday.
Sullivan 5 4 — 9
North Knox 0 0 — 0
Sullivan goals — Tucker Smith, Wyatt Clouse (Smith), Smith, Smith, Ben Walker (Smith), Smith (Walker), Smith, Clouse (Smith), Smith.
• Sullivan 7, South Vermillion 0 — In the Class A Sullivan Sectional, the host Golden Arrows advanced to Saturday’s championship with a 7-0 victory over South Vermillion.
Sullivan will face North Knox, a 1-0 winner over South Knox in Thursday’s first semifinal.
• Lions compete — At Hickory Point Course in Decatur, Ill., Marshall sophomores Leighanne Hildebrand and Mackenzie Switzer shot 125 and 146 respectively in the regional Wednesday.
Neither was able to qualify for the sectional.