TERRE HAUTE —
• Ellis Park began its 90th season of live thoroughbred racing last week and will have races each weekend through Labor Day. Post time is 12:50 p.m. CDT.
• Tom Newlin and Ed Pabst have begun a bike ride across the country.
The event began Sunday in the state of Washington and will conclude in Williamsburg, Va., in August with 31 riders doing the entire distance of about 3,500 miles, going about 115 miles per day.
• Paul Patterson has resigned as men’s basketball coach at Taylor University.
He had a 734-375 mark — that’s a percentage of .682 — in 34 seasons.
• Former Indianapolis North Central standout Patrick Ingram is leaving Iowa after one season and will transfer to IUPUI. He averaged less than a point per game in limited minutes for the Hawkeyes.
• Don’t forget that harness racing begins today at the Martinsville Agricultural Fair in Illinois and runs through Thursday with running races set for Friday. Post time is 1 p.m. CDT.
• And junior golfers will begin city play today at Rea Park with the first two rounds of the men’s city tournament slated for this weekend at Rea Park and Hulman Links.
• Finally, you probably heard that the hot-dog eating champ set a record of downing 69 in 10 minutes last week.
Tom Reck may be contacted by telephone at (812) 232-3231, by email at email@example.com or by mail at 4284 S. Fifth St., Apt. 3, Terre Haute, IN 47802.