A late goal Sunday afternoon enabled host Western Kentucky to slip past Indiana State 2-1 in women’s nonconference soccer action at the WKU Soccer Complex.
A Haley Baldridge goal in the 18th minute gave the Hilltoppers a 1-0 lead, but ISU tied the match in the 39th minute on Kate Johnson’s second goal of the season. Johnson, taking a pass from Kylie Sumner, hit a rising shot off the crossbar and down into the goal.
The score remained even until the 73rd minute, when the Toppers’ Lauren Moats scored off a corner kick for the game-winning score.
Indiana State is now 1-2 for the season, Western Kentucky 1-1-1.
The Sycamores were outshot 24-12, 8-4 in shots on goal. ISU had just three shots in the second half.
Brittany San Roman had six saves in goal for the visitors, five in the second half, while Johnson led the team with three shots.
Indiana State hosts Green Bay at 7 p.m. Friday in Memorial Stadium.
In high school action:
• Evansville North 3, Terre Haute North 2 — At Evansville, the visiting Patriots had to wait out a six-hour heat delay before suffering their first loss of the season in high school play Saturday.
Spencer Grim had both Patriot goals.
Terre Haute North 1 1 — 2
Evansville North 2 1 — 3
THN — Spencer Grim (Kelsey Thomas), 3:38
EN — 29:25
EN — 34:58
THN — Grim penalty kick, 63:22
EN — 72:16.
JV — Evansville North 5, Terre Haute North 0.
Next — Terre Haute North (2-1) hosts West Vigo at 5 p.m. Tuesday.
Sullivan 5 2 — 7
Owen Valley 2 1 — 3
Record — Sullivan is 3-0-1, 2-0-1 in Western Indiana Conference
• Record-setting weekend for Engineers — At Anderson, Rose-Hulman women golfers set several school records while opening their 2013 season at the Anderson Invitational.
Freshman Peem Chanrotchanaphan set records for lowest 18-hole and 36-hole scores and placed third overall after rounds of 76 and 81.
As a team the Engineers set 18- and 36-hole records during a round of 324 on Sunday, and their overall score of 657 was also a record.
Team scores — DePauw 319-311-630, Hanover 325-330-655, Rose-Hulman 333-324-657, Anderson 352-360-712, Manchester 359-354-713, Defiance 452-405-857.
Rose-Hulman — 4. Peem Chanrotchanaphan 81-76-157, 8. Deanne De Keizer 83-80-163, 10. Hayley Vonder Haar 82-82-164, 17. Jaclyn Smith 87-86-173, Erin Scully 80-88-168, Melissa Montgomery 92-92-184, Chloe LeVelle 93-93-186, Taylor King 97-90-187.
Next — Rose-Hulman competes next weekend at the Hanover Invitational.
• Couples competition — At Idle Creek, the Wine & Dine Couples Scramble was Thursday.
30 — Denise Rowlett, Dave Rowlett
35 — Traci Woolery, Chris Woolery
37 — Sue Welch, Phil Welch
32 — Teresa Matchett, Ashley Matchett
33 — Susie Colligan, Jim Colligan
34 — Candy LovVron, Bob LovVron
Closest to pin — A.Matchett (No. 3), Joyce Burdine (No. 9), B.LovVron (No. 5, second shot), Da.Rowlett (No. 6, second shot)
Long drive — B.LovVron (No. 2, men), De.Rowlett (No. 4, women), De. Rowlett (No. 7)
Long putt — Zach Wilhoyte (No. 1, Leighton Harper (No. 8)
• Sacred Heart event — At Idle Creek, the Sacred Heart Youth Ministries outing was played..
58 — Nate Green, Brian Giesen, Jay Etling, Adam Summerlot (first); Steve Metheny, Mark Metheny, Jack Margason, Tyler Fischer (second)
67 — Kelly McKee, Steve Murray, Eric Frey, Tim Crouse
Closest to pin — Keith Lee (No. 9), Crouse (No. 12)
Long drive — Phil Padget (No. 15)
Long putt — Randy Reinoehl (No. 1)
• Knight boys third — At Rushville, Nic Yocom was third and Cam Trout sixth as Northview’s boys placed third at the Rushville Invitational.
Team scores — Indianapolis Cathedral 38, Greenfield-Central 63, Northview 91, New Castle 107, Connersville 111, Jennings County (score unavailable), East Central 165, Richmond 247.
Northview — 3. Nic Yocom 16:57.70, 6. Cam Trout 17:12.84, 17. Ian Heffner 18:19.51, 23. Travis Beil 18:44.21, 42. Josh Johnson 20:39.51, 43. Kris Damon 20:47.01, 50. Dawson Nelson 21:48.31.
Boys open race, Northview runners — Christian Herron 21:21.21, Devin McCollum 21:28.68, Kaleb Zadeii 21:47.72, Tyler McNabb 22:26.47, David Teters 25:06.24.
• Wildcats 0-2 — At Covington, South Vermillion lost two matches Saturday.
Seeger 25 25
South Vermillion 17 22
South Vermillion 17 7
Covington 25 25
Next — South Vermillion (7-4) plays Tuesday at Greencastle.
• Too wet — At Putnamville, rain wiped out racing on Saturday at Lincoln Park Speedway.
King of Non-Wing Sprint action has been rescheduled for Sept. 21.
• Darland wins Friday — At West Burlington, Iowa, Dave Darland won another U.S. Auto Club sprint car feature Friday night at 34 Raceway.
Fast qualifier — Dave Darland.
Heat winners — Shane Cottle, Chase Stockon, Nick Drake.
Feature — Darland, Chris Windom, Bryan Clauson, Justin Grant, Robert Ballou, Stockon, Tracy Hines, Kyle Cummins, Kevin Thomas Jr., Tyler Courtney, Keaton Dobbs, Drake, Steve Thomas, Tyler Shoemaker.
• Short prevails — At Bloomington, Brady Short won the main event for sprint cars at Bloomington Speedway. Other winners were Kent Robinson in modifieds, Winston Howe in super stocks and Matt Hamilton in hornets.
Heat winners — Jon Stanbrough, Carson Short, Nick Bilbee.
Feature — Brady Short, Bilbee, Jordan Kinser, Stanbrough, Chris Babcock, Kevin Chambers, Casey Shuman, Eric Edwads, Jeff Bland, Bub Cummings, Danny Holtsclaw, Travis Berryhill, Lance Grimes, Tyler Waltz, Charlie Beldon Jr.
Heat winners — Chad Combs, Blake Davis.
Feature — Kent Robinson, Greg Amick, Combs, Kenny Carmichael, Kenny Carmichael Jr., Davis, Josh Eads, Jake Humphrey, Jeff Deckard, Eric Franzman.
Heat winners — Winston Howe, Roy Bruce Jr., Steve Peeden.
Feature — Howe, Steve Hollars, Peeden, Bruce, Jake Leitzman, Chris Hillman, Paul Ortman, Steve Hawkins, Travis Todd, Travis Howe.
Heat winners — Matt Hamilton, Dan Morgan, Jordan Wever, Jameson Petermichel (B-main).
Feature — Hamilton, Greg Garrison, Luke Bland, Morgan, Wever.