TERRE HAUTE —
With any assistance from the weather, the Wabash Valley motorsports season is expected to shift into high gear this weekend on several fronts.
Season openers at the Terre Haute Action Track and Lincoln Park Speedway will help usher in what is expected to be a highly competitive and successful campaign for Valley racers and track operators.
Following a near-losing bout with the elements for the most part of the 2013 season, Action Track fans are hoping for drier and brighter race days in 2014.
That would include Sunday’s doubleheader of U.S. Auto Club-sanctioned Silver Crown and UMP Modified racing.
Part of an attractive oval-track schedule at the Wabash Valley Fairgrounds this summer. A slate that also includes Midwest Sprint Car Series/King of Indiana Sprint Series sprints April 27, USAC sprints May 21, UMP Summer National late models July 9, USAC Indiana Sprint Week sprints July 16, USAC sprints Aug. 29 and the return of the popular World of Outlaw winged sprint cars Sept. 17.
It should be noted that UMP modifieds will share each card with the exception of the ISW sprint show in July. For more information, fans may call 812-232-4040.
Other tracks and their schedule of special events include:
• Crossroads Dragway – At the Wabash Valley Fairgrounds, the local 1/8-mile strip will offer a weekly card of NHRA sanctioned bracket racing with a host of special events.
The big news at Crossroads is that the facility is slated to undergo a major facelift in the upcoming days. The track is slated to get a much-needed repaving, opening up unlimited possibilities for the southside strip.
With the construction project still in its formative stages, the strip will go with a tentative slate that at the present includes Fast 33 on May 17, Bernie Mann Memorial on May 23-24, Midwest Jr. Super Series on June 6-8, Fast 33 on June 14, Matt Agresta Memorial on June 21, Crossroads Dragway 500 on June 28, Fast 33 on July 5, National Dragster on July 19, Slammin 16 on July 26, Fast 33 on Aug. 2, Scheid Diesel Extravaganza on Aug. 22-24, Fast 33 on Sept. 20 and King of Track on Sept. 27. Contact 812-299-2167.
• Bakersfield Raceway Park – Located just east of Linton, the short-track oval will host Friday night programs for 600 wing and non-wing sprints 1000 Mini-sprints wing and non-wing, 600 non-wing sprints, 4 cylinder stocks and Hornets.
The facility will host seven classes of go-karts on Saturdays. Information can be obtained at 812-847-7485.
• Bloomington Motor Speedway – Located on the Southside of Bloomington, the popular quarter-mile dirt oval will offer a weekly Friday night program of non-wing sprints, UMP modifieds, super stocks, hornet and selected special events.
Specials include KISS sprints May 2, Josh Burton Memorial/MSCS sprints May 23, PowrI midgets May 30, USAC midget Week June 13, 26th Sheldon Kinser Memorial June 27, USAC Indiana Sprint Week July 18, MSCS sprints Aug. 15 and World of Outlaw sprints Sept. 26. Track phone 812-824-7400.
• Charleston Speedway – Located in Charleston, Ill., the track is offering a weekly Saturday night card of modifieds, street stocks and pure stocks. The quarter dirt oval will present a host of special events that include the third annual Street Stock Shootout on April 26, Modified 50 Special on May 17, Factory Stock Special on June7, third annual Firecracker 40 on July 5, Street Stock 50 special Aug. 2, Lance Cobble Memorial on Sept. 6 and third annual Take’em off 40 on Sept 27. Track phone 217-345-2929.
• Coles County Dragway — Located near Charleston, Il., the NHRA-sanctioned dragstrip will offer weekly cards of bracket racing and a host of special shows that include Hopper Family Memorial Day Classic on May 25, “Thunder on the Prairie” ET Quick 32 on June 21, Quick 8-Firecracker No-Box 400 on July 5, Quick 330 Index Drag-N-Brag on July 26, Walt Crabtree Memorial on Aug. 2, NHRA Jegs Super Quick 32 on Aug. 16, NHRA National Dragster Challenge on Sept 6 and Quick Series finale Oct. 4. Phone number 217-345-7777.
• Indianapolis Motor Speedway — Inaugural Grand Prix for Indy Cars on May 8-10, Indianapolis 500 qualifying May 18, Carb Day on May 23, Legends Day on May 24, Indianapolis 500 on May 25, Tudor United Sports Car Championship on July 25, NASCAR Nationwide on July 26, Brickyard 400 on July 27. Red Bull Moto GP on Aug. 7-9. Contact 317-492-8500.
• Indiana State Fairgrounds — Indianapolis USAC Silver Crown and UMP modifieds May 22 and AMA Grand National motorcycles Aug. 8. Contact 317-927-1482.
• Kokomo Speedway — Special events at Kokomo’s popular quarter-mile dirt oval include Kokomo Grand Prix PowrI midgets April 11-12, KISS sprints May 4, Kokomo Klassic on May 25, World of Outlaws on June 4, USAC midget Week on June15, USAC Indiana Sprint Week on July 12, Bob Darland Memorial on July 27, USAC Sprint Showdown on Aug. 21-23 and Kokomo Klash VIII on Oct. 17-18. Contact 765-459-3877.
• Lincoln Park Speedway — Located in Putnamville, the track will feature the Bomber Spring Fling on April 19, MSCS Sprints on May 24, USAC Midget Week on June 12, Slick Griffin Memorial on July 2, USAC sprints July 4, USAC Indiana Sprint Week on July 12, MSCS sprints Aug. 9, 11th annual Patriot 100 on Aug. 30 and King of Non Wing Sprints on Sept. 6. Contact 765-653-3485.
• Lucas Oil Raceway — Located in Clermont, the oval track’s specials include Xtreme sprints May 9, Hall of Fame Classic on May 17, Nite Before 500 USAC midgets May 24, USAC Silver Crown-Midgets on July 24. ARCA stocks July 25 and the 60th NHRA US Drag Nationals on Aug. 27- Sept. 1. Contact 317-291-4090.
• Paragon Speedway — Weekly Saturday night cards of non-wing sprints-UMP Super Stocks-Bombers-Pure stocks and Hornets are offered. Specials include the 14th annual KISS sprints May 31, fifth annual Chuck Amati Memorial on July 5, Mid Season Championship for UMP Super Stocks on July 19 and Mike Johnson Memorial on Aug. 16. Contact 765-537-2366.
• Tri-State Speedway — Located in Haubstadt, it’s home of the Midwest Sprint Car Series. Special events include USAC/MSCS sprints April 26, World of Outlaws on May 10, MSCS/KISS sprints May 25, MSCS sprints-Powri midgets June 28, UMP Late Model Summer Nationals on July 6, USAC Indiana Sprint Week on July 19, USAC/MSCS sprints Sept. 13 and MSCS sprints Oct. 11. Contact 812-768-6025.
Joe Buckles can be reached by email at email@example.com.