Special to the Tribune-Star
TERRE HAUTE —
The Sycamores reign.
Congrats to Indiana State track and field athletes and coaches for capturing men’s and women’s championships in the Missouri Valley Conference competition in Iowa.
It is no small feat for one school to win both titles, and it is just another major accomplishment for the Sycamores since John McNichols has been at the school.
You can bet most of the coaches will be at work this week, scouting athletes in Indiana high school sectional meets today and Thursday.
• • •
• On the links — Ted Kaperak recently scored a hole-in-one while playing in the Rea Park two-man event. It was his 10th ace.
That same day, he played the three par-3 holes in 4 under par, aided by the ace.
The veteran golfer had a nice finish in the Indiana PGA Senior Open last week and will be gunning more titles in the city and senior city tournaments later in the summer.
Four teams that will compete in the Linton Sectional next month will be in action today in two matches in Terre Haute.
Sullivan and Terre Haute North play at Hulman Links. Terre Haute South and Linton play at Rea Park.
Sullivan took Western Indiana Conference honors last week and will meet Northview in another match later in the week.
• • •
• Tom-Cattin’ It — New high school football coaches have been named in Evansville.
Former player Andy Hape is the new coach at Reitz. He has been on the staff at Franklin College and formerly had been at Earlham College.
Cory Brunson, who was on the staff at Reitz, is the new coach at Harrison. He has been at Reitz five years and previously was at Mt. Vernon.
• Mike Harmon has resigned as girls basketball coach at Brown County. His teams won 134 games and had nine winnings seasons in 11 years at the school.
• According to a published report, each Big Ten school will receive $25.7 million from the conference this year, the top payout in the 117-year history of the league.
Nearly $8 million of the total will come from the Big Ten Network.
• Lincoln Trail will field a men’s golf team for the first time. Three of the players should be from Illinois area schools: Wade Kibler and Keefer Treece of Marshall and Chris Lee of Martinsville.
Jay Prindable has been the coach at Palestine and is the LT coach.
Teresa Gorrell of Marshall has signed to compete in track at Quincy University. She recently set the school record in the 800-meter run.
• IUPUI will play its men’s basketball games at the Coliseum at the Indiana State Fairgrounds starting in 2014.
The Indiana Pacers once played in the facility and we remember watching the Indiana Olympians play basketball there many, many years ago.
• Each game is big in the NBA playoffs but it would be really big if the Indiana Pacers could beat the New York Knicks tonight and go up 3-1 in their series.
• The University of Indianapolis softball team won the NCAA Division II Regional played at Indy last week and will host Grand Valley State in a Super Regional this week.
One of the players on the Indy team is Bailey Wittenaur.
Tom Reck may be contacted by telephone at (812) 232-3231, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at 4284 South 5th Street, Apt. 3, Terre Haute, IN, 47802.