LEXINGTON, KY. —
The end game
For all of the accolades already garnered, there’s still plenty of work in front of Reed before the MLB Draft starts on June 5.
Reed still has lead Kentucky through the minefield that is the SEC Eastern Division. Every team is Kentucky’s division is in the hunt. Three games separate seven teams. Entering weekend action, Kentucky was two games behind first-place Florida.
Reed will also have to deal with the increased attention his two-way exploits will no doubt bring. In a way, Reed dealt with it on a smaller scale before. During his senior season at South, there was constant speculation about whether he’d go to Kentucky as planned or sign with whomever drafted him. Reed can fall back on that experience to a degree, but it wasn’t the same.
“I didn’t really know much about [the draft] then. My senior year it was a whole different process,” Reed said.
There’s plenty of opportunity for Reed to improve his draft stock. Continued production at the level he’s done so far this season is one obvious way to do it, but so is leading his team to postseason glory. A solid run at the arch-competitive SEC Tournament or leading Kentucky out of a regional could do the trick.
Not that Reed is going to try to force the issue.
“[The draft] is something I try not to think about too much. I know what I do on the field will influence the draft and it will take care of itself,” Reed said.
Right now Reed is taking care of business.
Where Reed ranks nationally
Here’s a list of various categories where A.J. Reed ranks in top 5 nationally:
1. A.J. Reed Kentucky 14
1. Michael Katz William & Mary 14
3. Nic Wilson Georgia State 12
4. Brandon Thompson Tennessee Tech 11
4. Zach Stephens Tennessee Tech 11
1. Michael Katz William & Mary 64
2. A.J. Reed Kentucky 48
3. Derek Gibson SEMO 46
4. Brandon Thompson Tennessee Tech 45
4. Chase Harris New Mexico 45
1. Michael Katz William & Mary .790
2. A.J. Reed Kentucky .754
3. Caleb Adams La-Lafayette .730
4. Ryan Seiz Liberty .719
5. Nik Wilson Georgia State .711
1. Michael Katz William & Mary 1.271
2. A.J. Reed Kentucky 1.248
3. Caleb Adams La.-Lafayette 1.220
4. Ryan Seiz Liberty 1.216
5. Nick Thompson William & Mary 1.190
1. Michael Katz William & Mary 124
2. Ryan Seiz Liberty 110
3. Brandon Thompson Tenn. Tech 105
4. A.J. Reed Kentucky 104
5. Nick Thompson William & Mary 101