TERRE HAUTE —
Taylor Shake of Sullivan was one of 12 high school senior athletes awarded a C. Eugene Cato Memorial Scholarship on Thursday by the Indiana High School Athletic Association.
Sponsored by Methodist Sports Medicine, the Indianapolis Colts and Sport Graphics Inc. in addition to the IHSAA, the $2,500 awards were presented at a banquet at the Indiana Roof Ballroom.
Criteria for the scholarships included being enrolled and earning a varsity letter as a senior at an IHSAA member school, being nominated by the school’s principal, having a minimum grade-point average of 3.00 on a 4.00-point scale and having no violations of the school’s athletic code of conduct, no ejections from any IHSAA contest due to unsportsmanlike conduct and making a commitment to remain substance-free throughout high school.
Shake, a standout in volleyball and tennis for the Golden Arrows, is ranked first in her class with a 4.00 GPA and has leadership positions in National BETA Club, Spanish Club, Student Council and Fellowship of Christian Athletes.
The daughter of Ron and Paige Shake, she has also volunteered with Toys for Tots, Sullivan’s community soup kitchen, Sullivan County Community Hospital and the Sullivan Fitness Center.
Other scholarship recipients are Aaron Bode of Avon, Christopher Dietrich of Crown Point, Anthony Douglass II of South Bend Washington, Erin Duncan of Providence, Anna Marie Farlow of Southwood, Levi Hilgenhold of Perry Central, Barbie Kimmel of Tippecanoe Valley, Kaitlyn O’Rourke of Lebanon, Stephanie Pritchett of Lapel, Alec Sievern of Evansville Memorial and Trent Tatlock of Edinburgh.
• Clay City 53, West Vigo 52 — At Clay City, competing without the long jump, high jump and pole vault beecause of the rain, the visiting Vikings dropped a one-point decision.
For Clay City, Kelsey Wright ran for two individual victories (400 and 1,600 meters). Kayla Lindsay (100 hurdles and 200) did the same for West Vigo.
Clay City 53, West Vigo 52
3,200 relay — Clay City 11:47, West Vigo 12:49.
100 H — Lindsay (WV) 19.21, Carlson (WV) 19.6, McKittrick (CC) 20.2.
D — Wilson (WV) 73-5, Gerber (CC) 70-10, Fry (CC) 68-10.
100 — White (WV) 14.5, Skaggs (CC) 14.9, Certain (WV) 15.43.
1,600 — Wright (CC) 6:24, Tolerson (WV) 6:52, Farmer (CC) 6:54.
400 relay — West Vigo (Spillers, Scott, Lindsay, Carlson) 59.25, Clay City 1:00.
400 — Wright (CC) 1:10, Sinders (CC) 1:17, Certain (WV) 1:23.
300 H — Carlson (WV) 59.78, Lindsay (WV) 1:00.1, McKittrick (CC) 1:00.2
800 — Steward (CC) 2:28, Farmer (CC) 3:08, Donham (WV) 3:13.
200 — Lindsay (WV) 31.83, Skaggs (CC) 32.3, Carlson (WV) 32.32.
SP — Milner (CC) 25-1 1/2, Eldredge (WV) 24-9 1/2, Wallace (WV) 24-7 1/2.
3,200 — Tolerson (WV) 13:31, Carroll (CC) 14:51, Mann (CC) 15:25.
Next — West Vigo (0-2) will compete Tuesday at Marshall, Ill.
• Called off — Thursday’s South Vermillion at Terre Haute South game was postponed by rain. No new date has been announced.
• Terre Haute South wins on road — At Bloomington North, Cheyenne Reinig went 2 for 4 with two runs and an RBI to lead the Braves.
Terre Haute South 018 340 0 — 16 12 1
Bloomington North 011 000 0 — 2 x x
WP — Gossman. LP — Not reported.
Highlights — For Terre Haute South, Cheyenne Reinig went 2 for 4 with a home run and 6 RBIs; Taylor Schilling went 1 for 1 with 2 runs; Kelsey Marlow 2 for 4 with 2 runs and 2 RBIs; Mackenzie McGregor 2 for 3 with two runs and an RBI; Shelbie Scamihorn 1 for 2 with 3 runs and an RBI; and Haven Eder had a double.
Next — South (4-3) plays today at home against South Vermillion.
• Sullivan tops county rival — At Dugger, Cobie Harrison went 2 for 2 with a triple and Kyleigh Jones struck out eight in five innings to lead the Golden Arrows to a 9-1 victory over host Union.
Sullivan 105 030 0 — 9 7 0
Union 010 000 0 — 1 2 1
WP — Jones. LP — Sullivan.
Highlights — For Sullivan, Kylee Willis went 1 for 2 with 2 RBI; Cobie Harrison 2 for 2 with a run and an RBI; Kaiti Basinger 1 for 2 with a double; and Sam Vernelson had a double and an RBI.
Next — Sullivan (3-4) plays today at Clay City.
• Called off — The Shakamak at Northview game scheduled for Thursday was cancelled because of rain.
• Eels postponed — No new date has been set for the SouthWestern Indiana Athletic Conference game between White River Valley and host Clay City that was called off Thursday.
• Paris tops Riverton Parke — At Mecca, Ryan Coffman and Riley Spencer hit home runs and Hunter Morris hit two homers for Paris in an 18-3 victory over host Riverton Parke.
WP — Alex Elmore, 2-2.
Next — Paris (9-3) played host to Westville on Thursday.
• Called off — Thursday’s Terre Haute South vs. Northview girls match was postponed and will be made up at 4:30 p.m. May 7.
Turkey Run 3, South Putnam 2
Singles — Hannah Smith (TR) def. Madison Cash 6-2, 6-2; Kelly Hayden (SP) def. Hannah Delp 6-1, 6-2; Cierra Brown (SP) def. Hannah Stumpf 6-1, 6-1.
Doubles — Courtney Hardman-Linda McFarland (TR) def. Megan Guthrie-Kassi Rains 7-5, 6-2; Becky Cox-Brianna Hutton (TR) def. Kyndra Boyce-Miriah Cherry 6-4, 4-6, 6-3.
• Greencastle 153, West Vigo 217 — At Windy Hill, the host Tiger Cubs were led by Alec Davis and Luke Brotherton, each of whom shot 37.
Nick Leek led the Vikings with a 47.
At Windy Hill
Greencastle 153, West Vigo 21
West Vigo (217) — Nick Leek 47, Nate Keith 50, Brandon Long 51, David McClain 64.
Greencastle (153) — Alec Davis 37, Luke Brotherton 37, Jake Buis 39, Wataro Otaki 40.
Next — West Vigo competes Tuesday in the Vigo County meet at Hulman Links.