TERRE HAUTE —
Then there was one … and it is Linton.
The Miners meet Scecina this week in a Class A semistate football game with the winner earning a spot in the state finals against Sheridan or Lafayette Central Catholic.
Scecina defeated North Vermillion last week in one regional game while Linton bested West Washington. North Vermillion was one of the other teams in the area still alive in the postseason.
In Illinois, Belleville Althoff edged Casey 19-17 in a Class 2A contest. It was a tough, tough defeat for the Warriors, the last team in the area to lose in Illinois.
Congrats to Casey and North Vermillion for super seasons. Players from the area were among the leaders in Indiana stats released before last week’s games.
In passing, Austin Karaszia of Linton was third, completing 205 of 288 passes for 2,945 yards and 40 touchdowns, while Payne Fortner of Sullivan was 10th, completing 168 of 304 passes for 2,355 yards and 17 touchdowns.
In rushing, Chase Vanschoyck of North Central was fifth with 1,944 yards and 17 touchdowns.
Dante Rehmel of North Central was fifth in solo tackles with 109 and third in tackles for losses with 27 while Brett Gierke of Greencastle was 10th in sacks with 11.
In interceptions, Cole Bradbury and Koye Kaiser of Linton were tied for third, each with seven.
Good starts — Missouri Valley Conference and Big Ten men’s basketball teams are off to a good start.
MVC teams went 6-2 in the first two days with Evansville losing to Notre Dame and Indiana State to UCLA. The Irish and UCLA both are ranked in the early polls, with UCLA 10th in at least two of them.
Purdue was nipped by Bucknell in its opener but bounced back to beat Hofstra. Michigan State is ranked in the early polls and lost to unranked Connecticut 66-62.
In Valley games this week, ISU is at home to Winthrop tonight and to Truman State on Saturday. Illinois State opens the season at home against Santa Barbara and Southern Illinois is at New Orleans in its first game. Wichita State is at VCU tonight with ESPNU carrying the action. San Diego State has been ranked in most polls and will be at Missouri State on Saturday.
Tom-Cattin’ It — Northview softball standout Taylor Carter is slated to sign with East Tennessee State.
• Jim Flick has died at the age of 82. He was Jack Nicklaus’ coach early in his career and worked with other pros and amateurs,
• Some Indiana college football teams will begin postseason play this weekend. Marian will host Northwestern of Iowa and St. Francis will entertain Baker in the NAIA playoffs. Midwestern State of Texas will be at Indianapolis in an NCAA Division II contest and Franklin is at Adrian in Division III action.
• Don Zimmer is 81 and has agreed to be a senior adviser to Tampa Bay. It will be his 65th year in baseball.
• South Knox grad Mitchell Patton is playing well for IUPUI. He had 18 points in an exhibition and had 15 points and seven rebounds in the opener against Utah Valley while former Purdue player John Hart tallied 19.
IUPUI took on Michigan in an NIT Season Tipoff game Monday.
• Ted Bishop has begun his reign as president of the PGA. The director of golf at The Legends Golf Club was at Phil Harris Course in Linton for 17 years.
Tom Reck may be contacted by telephone at (812) 232-3231, by email at email@example.com or by mail at 4284 S. Fifth St., Apt. 3, Terre Haute, IN 47802.