TERRE HAUTE —
• The big news Monday was Serena Williams losing in Wimbledon tennis to Sabine Lisicki, snapping her 34-match winning streak.
• Telephones were busy for some of the NBA players Monday as free agency began. Everyone connected with the Indiana Pacers says keeping David West is the main objective for the team.
• The Los Angeles Dodgers have been really hurt by injuries and will not have Josh Beckett, who is out for the year after he undergoes surgery to repair pressure on a nerve in his neck.
• Illinois State basketball player Bryant Allen has been dismissed from the team for violating team rules.
• In case you missed it, UCLA won the College World Series to give the Bruins another NCAA title but its first in baseball.
• New Mexico State quarterback Andrew Manley has transferred to Eastern Illinois and has two years of eligibility remaining.
• Evansville Bosse standout cager JaQuan Lyle has committed to Louisville. He averaged 27 points, 13.4 rebounds and 6.8 assists last season.
• Jason Kidd is the new coach of the Brooklyn Nets and has hired Lawrence Frank for his staff. Frank formerly coached the Nets and coached Detroit last season.
• Indiana high jumper Derek Drouin is the Jesse Owens Big Ten Male Athlete of the Year. Anthony Thompson was the last Hoosier to rate the honor, in 1990.
• New Castle pitcher Trey Bell was named prep baseball player of the year by USA Today.
• There was no LaBonte in the field for the NASCAR Sprint Cup race in Kentucky, the first time someone with that name has not been in the field since 1978.
Tom Reck may be contacted by telephone at 812-232-3231, by email at email@example.com or by mail at 4284 S. Fifth St., Apt. 3, Terre Haute, IN 47802.