TERRE HAUTE —
A pair of former Indiana State relief pitchers recorded holds in major league outings this week.
Brian Omogrosso picked up his first major league hold for the Chicago White Sox at Kansas City on July 13, while Joe Thatcher earned his seventh hold of the season for San Diego in a game at the Los Angeles Dodgers two days later.
By the way, after allowing runs in his first two major league appearances, Omogrosso pitched scoreless innings in each of his next two games this week.
However, he was optioned to Charlotte on Saturday.
Notes — Clint Barmes has hit safely in five of his last six games for Pittsburgh … Brady Shoemaker is 8 for 13 (.615 batting average) in his last four games for Birmingham. … Jeremy Lucas was 3 for 4 with a pair of doubles for Mahoning Valley vs. State College on Wednesday. … Matt Zaleski has a 1.88 earned run average in his last 10 games, covering 57 1-3 innings. … Derek Eitel made his longest start of the season of eight innings for Mobile, evening his record at 7-7 with a win at Scranton-Wilkes Barre on Thursday. … Ryan Tatusko has a 2.25 earned run average covering 36 innings in his last 10 games for Harrisburg. … Jason Van Skike picked up his second save for Kannapolis at Greensboro on July 15. … Brett Merkley picked up his fourth save for Great Falls at Idaho Falls on Monday.
Transactions — Blake Drake was released by Rockford (Frontier League) on Friday. … Brian Omogrosso was optioned to Charlotte on Saturday.
Updates on former Indiana State, Rose-Hulman, Terre Haute Rex or Wabash Valley-connected players this week.
• Clint Barmes — Barmes was 4 for 19 with two RBI in five games for Pittsburgh.
• Nevin Ashley — Ashley was 7 for 14 with three doubles, one home run and three RBI in six games while still on a rehab assignment with the Gulf Coast League Rays. He has hit safely in his last four games and five of his last six games.
• Josh Phegley — Phegley was 3 for 16 with a double and RBI in four games for Charlotte.
• Brady Shoemaker — Shoemaker was 8 for 20 with four doubles, one home run and five RBI in six games for Birmingham.
• Ryan Strausborger — Strausborger was 6 for 20 with a double, triple and four RBI in five games for Frisco.
• Nick Ciolli — Ciolli remains on the 7-day DL for Winston-Salem.
• Kyle Lafrenz — Lafrenz remains on the 7-day DL for Clearwater.
• Jeremy Lucas — Lucas was 3 for 8 with two doubles for Mahoning Valley.
• Stephen Bruno — Bruno was 11 for 29 with two doubles, three RBI in seven games for Boise.
• Jake Eigsti — Eigsti was 5 for 20 with a double, home run and three RBI in six games for Camden.
• Pascual Del Real — Del Real was 0 for 7 with a RBI in two games for Edinburg.
• Alex Guthrie — Guthrie was a pinch runner in his only game played this week for Gateway.
• Joe Thatcher— Thatcher made two relief appearances for San Diego. In a combined 2 1-3 innings, allowing no runs, no hits, with no walks, three strikeouts.
• Brian Omogrosso — Omogrosso made two relief appearances for the Chicago White Sox. In a combined two innings, he allowed no runs, no hits with no walks, one strikeout.
• Matt Zaleski — Zaleski made two starts for Charlotte. In a combined 10 2-3 innings, he allowed three runs (two earned), 14 hits, with six walks, six strikeouts. He had a no-decision (July 14) and a loss (Thursday at Scranton Wilkes-Barre).
• Mitch Stetter — Stetter made two relief appearances for Huntsville. In a combined 1 2-3 innings, he allowed no runs, no hits, with two walks, two strikeouts. Both were no-decisions.
• Derek Eitel — Eitel made one start for Mobile. On July 15, he went eight innings, allowing three runs, four hits, with one walk, six strikeouts.
• Ryan Tatusko — Tatusko made one start for Harrisburg. On Tuesday, he went 6 2-3 innings, allowing two runs, one hits, with three walks, seven strikeouts in a no-decision at Akron.
• Jake Petricka — Petricka made one start for Winston-Salem. On Monday, he went six innings, allowing four runs, five hits, with four walks, six strikeouts in a no-decision at Carolina.
• Colin Rea — Rea made one start for Fort Wayne. On July 13, he went three innings, allowing six runs (five earned), four hits, with five walks, one strikeout in a loss at Beloit.
• Jason Van Skike — Van Skike made one relief appearance for Kannapolis. On July 15, he went 3 1-3 innings, allowing one unearned run, one hit, with one walk, two strikeouts.
• Brett Merkley — Merkley made one relief appearance for Great Falls. On Monday, he went one inning, allowing one no runs, one hits, with no walks, one strikeout.
• Brandon Dorsett — Dorsett made one relief appearance for Bluefield. On Wednesday, he went two innings, allowing no runs, no hits, with no walks, no strikeouts in a no-decision vs. Princeton.
• Dakota Bacus — Bacus made two relief appearance for the AZL A’s. In a combined 3 2-3 innings, he allowed one run, three hits, with no walks, three strikeouts. He picked up his first blown save vs. the AZL Giants ton Wednesday.
• Blake Drake — Drake made three relief appearances for Rockford. In a combined two innings, he allowed seven runs (six earned), four hits, with four walks, one strikeout. All were no-decisions.
Dennis Clark can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org and followed on Twitter @TribStarDennis.