TERRE HAUTE —
Play begins today in the high school boys state golf finals at The Legends of Indiana Golf Club at Franklin.
Fifteen teams are in the field, including Sullivan, and individual qualifiers, including Drew Cahill of Terre Haute South and Alec Davis of Greencastle.
Sullivan is making its second appearance as a team in the finals — the Arrows made the field in 1997. They won the Linton Sectional and took third in the Washington Regional to qualify for the finals.
Nathan Pirtle, Colton Kuppler, Riley Pirtle, Luke Willis and Jace Moody make up the lineup. Willis is the only senior.
Nathan Pirtle and Kuppler have been the top finishers most of the season and Riley Pirtle shot 76 to tie Kuppler in the regional.
Riley Pirtle had four birdies on his first six holes of the second nine in the regional. “He gave us a new life,” said coach Doug Boyd that day.
Pirtle and Davis each shot 73 to tie for second low score in the regional while Cahill had 74.
Pirtle had a 64 in the sectional. Dylan Meyer of Evansville Central had a 62 in the sectional round and tied Dylan Holsclaw of Plainfield for first in the regional, each shooting par-72.
Sullivan had 288 to win the sectional played at Phil Harris Course; that score ranks second with Carmel and Columbus North for second-low scores in the tournament. Evansville Memorial’s 283 is first in that list of the teams.
Sullivan shot 310 in the regional, one shot better than Vincennes Rivet and one shot back of Memorial.
Westfield won its first golf state title a year ago and is back in the field while 2013 individual medalist Adam Wood of Zionsville is not in the lineup, missing qualifying by one shot in the regional.
Nathan Pirtle is making his second appearance in the state finals. He qualified as a freshman.
Tee times begin at 8 a.m. today. Davis will tee off at 8:09 a.m. on the middle nine while Cahill will begin his round at the same time on the road nine.
Moody will be the first Sullivan player to tee off, starting play at 9:21 a.m.
All teams and all individuals will play both days in the revamped tournament.
• • •
• Chip shots — Plainfield won the Washington Regional and is making its first appearance in the finals since 1936. The Quakers were ranked 11th in the final poll.
• Fans may follow the action on a GolfStat.com with the hole-by-hole scores posted for all players.
• Seven teams in the finals also were in the finals last season: Carmel, Columbus North, Evansville Memorial, Fort Wayne Dwenger, Hamilton Southeastern, Pendleton Heights and Westfield.
IHSAA boys golf state finals
• The site — The Legends of Indiana Golf Club at Franklin
• The time — Tee times begin at 8 a.m. today and Wednesday
• The field — Sullivan, Bloomington South, Boone Grove, Carmel, Center Grove, Columbus North, Evansville Memorial, Fort Wayne Dwenger, Hamilton Southeastern, Homestead, NorthWood, Pendleton Heights, Plainfield, Westfield, Yorktown and individuals including Drew Cahill of Tere Haute South and Alec Davis of Greencastle