- Softball Scene
- Softball Scene: TH teams slug through poor weather to roll in Effingham tournament This past weekend in Effingham, Ill., included rain, muddy fields, hardworking ground crew and a few softball games between local Terre Haute rivals. In the end, local Terre Haute teams finished 1-2-3 in the 13-team affair.
- Standout softball player returns to diamond to win tournament For once the softball rumor mill has produced some accurate information. The rumor that local softballer Ryan Dehart was ready to get back into the softball fray has proven to be true. This past weekend, Dehart’s Rentals emerged from the loser’s bracket in the Vincennes NSA Invitational to earn a tourney title.
- Softball Scene: Recently-touted Valley softball teams fall on hard times The last Softball Scene column featured a discussion of the recent success of the Outkast men’s team and the 59-game winning streak enjoyed by the First Financial coed team looked as though it was going to be a Sports Illustrated cover jinx situation. No sooner do I tout each team’s success, then they both encountered troubles.
- Softball Scene: Outkast men’s traveling team finding success in southern Indiana Among the local men’s adult teams traveling throughout southern Indiana to participate in tournament play are Outkast, Crawlworks, 180 Energy Drink, Terre Haute Prescription Shop and Budweiser. Of these, the Outkast team has been the most successful.
- Family Y has fastest growing slow-pitch program With the 2009 adult softball season in full swing, I thought it might be a good time to look at the state of softball locally. In short, how many teams are playing at local facilities, what are the costs for participation and which programs are enjoying success.
- Softball Scene: Hicks, teammates to be inducted in Hall of Fame This coming March 21 will find the Indiana Amateur Softball Association holding its annual Hall of Fame banquet at the Terre Haute Holiday Inn. At that time, the late Debbie Hicks and the Terre Haute Cheffettes/Chevettes women’s fastpitch team will be inducted.
- Wabash Valley softball teams make noise at Kokomo tournaments
- Softball Scene: Labor Day tourney on slate With the arrival of Labor Day weekend, coed tournament action kicks into high gear. Highlighting Wabash Valley coed action is the Saline City Labor Day tourney, which features nine squads vying for the much sought-after championship crown.
- Softball Scene: Saline City tourney changes format The Saline City Labor Day Invitational, one of the area’s longest running softball tournaments, is now taking teams. Tournament director Ryan Persinger noted that a change of format has been scheduled for this year’s tourney.
- Softball Scene: At 64, Federle still going strong in slowpitch As one softball season after another slips by, there seems to be one thing that remains constant: 64-year-old Chuck Federle just keeps on playing slowpitch softball.
- Softball Scene: Mixed results for local teams at state tournaments The results from the Amateur Softball Association’s men’s slowpitch Class C and D state tournaments are in, and the results for local teams were mixed.
- Softball Scene: Valley teams focusing on key upcoming weekends For many adult men’s slowpitch teams, the weekends of Aug. 2-3 and Aug. 9-10 have been highlighted on their calendars since the season’s start.
- Softball Scene: Chop Shop women’s team dices up softball competition Let’s hope the performance by the Chop Shop women’s team this past weekend is an omen for local softball teams. The Chop Shop squad finished second in the Amateur Softball Association Women’s Slowpitch Class C state finals hosted by the Avon softball complex.
- Softball Scene: Elkins Brothers softball team is keeping fastpitch flame going in Valley As discussed in past columns, the decline in local men’s fastpitch action has been precipitous in the last few years. As hard as it is to believe, there are presently no men’s fastpitch leagues available on the local softball scene.
- Softball scene: Three softball leagues having no problems with participation
- Crawlworks softball playing well this summer
- Softball scene: Wabash Valley softball teams faring well on road With the adult softball season in full swing, I thought it might be fitting to look at the local men’s slowpitch travel teams making noise on the state level.
- Softball Scene: Softball time has arrived Terre Haute-area softball programs are once again in the planning stages, so interested teams and players should contact league administrators as soon as possible.
- Hoosiers may have fulfilled Hoeppner’s legacy Kellen Lewis didn’t even see the final play as he hugged Jane Hoeppner and then ran out on the field, sprinting nowhere in particular. The student section stormed the field, creating a large mass of people radiating around the state of Indiana painted on the 50-yard line.
- Softball scene: Local season winds down again It’s a wrap. Another season of the Softball Scene has come to a close. The results from several season-ending tournaments can be found below:
- Local slowpitch teams making roster changes for next season With an eye on the 2008 season, a number of local men’s slowpitch teams are revamping their rosters. As per usual, teams are dropping and adding players in an effort to improve for the upcoming season.
- Softball Scene: Softball season finishes up The final season standings are in from the Terre Haute Church League.
- Softball Scene: Chop Shop squad takes second at ASA Co-ed Novice state finals This past weekend the Chop Shop co-ed novice team claimed a second place finish in the 26-team ASA Co-ed Novice state finals in Elkhart. After dropping their first game to AAA Auto Shop 17-11, Chop Shop reeled off eight consecutive wins before dropping the state championship game by an 11-9 score to Simeri’s Tap of Mishawaka.
- Softball Scene: Fall coed softball action heats up With the culmination of men’s and women’s ASA sate tournament play, the softball focus has shifted to coed league play, as well as invitational and ASA coed state tournament play.
Valley softball players move on to fall season
As another season comes to a close, several familiar events are taking place on the local softball scene.
Fall play has commenced for the Brazil YMCA and Terre Haute Parks and Recreation slowpitch leagues. The Brazil YMCA leagues have coed and men’s action on Tuesdays-Thursdays and Sundays at the Forest Park facility, while Terre Haute Parks and Recreation leagues take place on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings at Spencer Field.
Softball Scene: Tough week for Valley teams in tournament play
The past two weekends have been especially tough for Wabash Valley teams participating in ASA state tournaments.
Of the nine teams entered in three different state tournaments, only one managed a .500 record.
Softball Scene: Ballyhoo still best slowpitch team around
Last weekend, the Ballyhoo Tavern served notice that it wasn’t ready to relinquish its title as the Wabash Valley’s best men’s slowpitch team.
Re-assembling its team from the ranks of the retired and occasional league players, Ballyhoo marched through the nine-team Terre Haute Invitational at Spencer Field without a defeat.
- Softball Scene: Outkasts, Terre Haute Pharmacy are hot teams on softball scene Last weekend witnessed two new teams emerge on the local men’s slowpitch softball scene.
- Softball Scene: Fighting Pacifists strike back Often times the “Softball Scene” column is devoted to reporting the scores and games for travel teams and individual tournament outcomes.
- Softball Scene: Who is Wabash Valley’s top slowpitch home run threat? Last week’s column focused on the team competition to replace the Ballyhoo Tavern as the Wabash Valley’s top-ranked men’s slowpitch squad.
- More Softball Scene Headlines