By John Benton
The final season standings are in from the Terre Haute Church League. Listed below are the top three teams for each night of play:
• Monday (Men’s B League) — Victory Christian (first place), St. George (second place), Southside (third place).
• Tuesday (Men’s A League) — New Life Fellowship (first place), Grace Fellowship (second place), Cross Lane Community (third place).
• Thursday (Men’s C League) — Red Division: Salt of the Earth Worship Center (first place), Life Center (second place), Cornerstone Bible (third place). Blue Division: New Life Fellowship (first place), North Side Christian (second place), Faith Wesleyan (third place).
• Friday Co-ed League — Red Division: Southside (first place), Maple Avenue United Methodist (second place), First Baptist Church (third place). Blue Division: Union Christian Center (first place), Maryland Community (second place), Agape Christian Church (third place).
Interest in the Terre Haute Church League continues to grow each year. A congratulations is in order for all those involved in making this a successful, well-administered league.
Final standings are also in from the Terre Haute Park and Recreation League play:
• Group A — Fitness Experts 6-1, Tabco 4-2, Culligan and First Financial 3-3, Law Dogs 0-6.
• Group B: Crawlworks 6-1, Lang’s Body Shop 4-2, Aisin Brake 3-3, ABI and Copper Bar 1-5.
The Fitness Experts squad defeated Crawlworks in the league playoffs by a 15-11 score to win the overall league title.
As with the previously mentioned church league, congratulations are in order for Chris Patterson, umpires, scorers and concessionaires for making the Spencer Field operation a good one.
This weekend, Terre Haute’s Spencer Field facility will be the host site for the first annual Rock ‘n Jock co-ed softball tournament. Chop Shop, Joe Hoops, Labor Link, The River and Fitness Experts are among the teams competing in the fund-raising affair. All proceeds will benefit the Catholic Charities of Terre Haute.
Brazil’s Forest Park will be the host for two October co-ed tournaments.
The Popcorn Festival softball tournament is scheduled for Oct. 5-6. Teams interested should contact Deborah Plummer at the Brazil YMCA at (812) 442-6761. Entry deadline is Sept. 30.
The Chop Shop co-ed team will be hosting a coed invitational tourney in Brazil on Oct. 12-13. Interested teams can contact Angie Robins-King at (812) 208-0251.
See ya at the park.
John Benton can be reached at (812) 877-2566.