- Saint Mary-of-the-Woods
Influx of new players has Pomeroys on rise
With a steady influx of “Killer B’s,” the fortunes of the St. Mary-of-the-Woods’ women’s basketball team are once again on the rise.
Woods soccer goes 1-1, earns national honors
St. Mary-of-the-Woods returned from the United States Collegiate Athletic Association soccer finals with a 1-1 record and a host of national honors.
Six St. Mary-of-the-Woods teams compete in national tournaments
St. Mary-of-the-Woods College athletics celebrates the end of a phenomenal year during the 2009-10 season as six teams competitively competed in national tournaments.
Rosselli, other Valley talent leads Woods into national softball tourney
The St. Mary-of-the-Woods softball program is no stranger to national tournaments.
The Pomeroys claimed some form of a national championship in 1997, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007 and 2008, the last several sanctioned by the U.S. Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA).
St. Mary-of-the-Woods plans Saturday commencement
St. Mary-of-the-Woods College will celebrate its 169th commencement Saturday. Graduation activities will begin at 10:30 a.m. with the traditional baccalaureate mass in the Church of the Immaculate Conception.
Woods, Rose softball teams split doubleheader
Rose-Hulman and St. Mary-of-the-Woods College split a softball doubleheader that featured the longest athletic contest in history between the two schools on Friday night.
Ring Day a much anticipated event at The Woods
Ring Day is a much anticipated and special day for most students, but for two St. Mary-of-the-Woods External Degree students in particular it was an especially great experience this year.
- Injury bug bites: St. Mary-of-the-Woods basketball trying to get and stay healthy A myriad of injuries have plagued the St. Mary-of-the-Woods women’s basketball team in recent seasons, forcing the Pomeroys to compete on numerous occasions with just seven, six and sometimes only five players able to play.
- The Woods appoints new vice president for development St. Mary-of-the-Woods College President David G. Behrs has announced the appointment of Serafina I. Spatola as vice president for development.
- St. Mary-of-the-Woods takes fourth in national tournament
- The Woods celebrates 168th commencement More than 140 students are expected to participate in St. Mary-of-the-Woods College’s 168th Commencement Ceremony on Saturday.
- Untold Stories: Film takes unique look ‘Inside Iraq’ At 7 p.m. Monday, St. Mary-of-the-Woods College will present “Inside Iraq: The Untold Stories,” which will include a film showing and discussion with the director of the film, Mike Shiley. The presentation, which will be in the Cecilian Auditorium of the SMWC Conservatory of Music building, is part of the College’s Four-Star series, and it is being co-sponsored by the SMWC Student Activities Committee. The presentation is free and open to the public.
- TH to promote ‘Crossroads of Higher Education’ at Statehouse Terre Haute may lie near Indiana’s western border, but business, education and government leaders want state lawmakers to know that the city that bills itself as the “Crossroads of America” is also the “Crossroads of Higher Education.”
- St. Mary-of-the-Woods College announces budget measures The downturn in the economy is taking a toll at St. Mary-of-the-Woods College, where donations to its Annual Fund are down 40 percent, or about $250,000, over the same time last year, college President David Behrs said in a letter to faculty and staff.
- Women's Basketball Rivalry: Rose-Hulman continues recent momentum against Woods It took Rose-Hulman nine years and a day to finally wrest the Clabber Girl Trophy from the grasp of St. Mary-of-the-Woods — the latter school winning the first 11 games in this cross-town rivalry which began in December of 1995.
- Injury bug bites Pomeroys hard St. Mary-of-the-Woods coach Deanna Bradley had high expectations prior to this season, anticipating a welcome turnaround in the school’s struggling women’s basketball fortunes.
- Woods faculty, students, grads attend music therapy conference Tracy Richardson, associate professor and director of the Master of Arts in Music Therapy program at St. Mary-of-the-Woods College, and Sharon R. Boyle, associate professor of music therapy at SMWC, recently attended the American Music Therapy Association Annual Conference in St. Louis.
- Apply now for Top Ten on 10 St. Mary-of-the-Woods College is still accepting applications for the Top Ten on 10 Scholarship Competition.
Fall tours will highlight beauty, peacefulness of St. Mary-of-the-Woods
One of the most breathtakingly beautiful, spiritual and peaceful times to visit St. Mary-of-the-Woods is in the fall.
Providence Center, the official welcome center and a ministry of the Sisters of Providence of St. Mary-of-the-Woods, invites the public to enjoy special fall tours. Individuals and smaller groups of two or more people are welcome to sign up for the special Sunday tours, starting at 1 p.m. this Sunday. Additional tours will be given Oct. 26 and Nov. 23. Tour participants should meet at the stained glass window at the west end inside the Providence Center lobby.
- The Woods hosts intercollegiate horse show Saturday, Sunday St. Mary-of-the-Woods College equestrian team is hosting the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association Zone 9, Region I “Kick-Off” competition Saturday and Sunday, and Bob Cacchione, founder and executive director of the IHSA will be in attendance as the college’s special guest.
- Rose downs The Woods 6-0 on soccer field Rose-Hulman and Liz Ridgway proved too much for St. Mary-of-the-Woods on Wednesday, the Engineers prevailing with a 6-0 women’s college soccer victory at the Rose-Hulman intramural field.
- Woods business prof presents ‘Virtual Team Play’ at leadership conference Jennie Mitchell, professor of business at St. Mary-of-the-Woods College, recently presented “Virtual Team Play” at the 2008 National Student Leadership Conference.
- Metro Sports: North grad Rosselli signs with the Woods Danielle Rosselli, a 2008 graduate of Terre Haute North High School, is the first student-athlete to sign with the new women’s golf team at St. Mary-of-the-Woods College.
- Woods Equestrian teams earn high marks at Nationals In May, members of the St. Mary-of-the-Woods College Hunter Seat and Western Equestrian teams traveled to the Los Angeles Equestrian Center in Burbank, Calif., to compete at the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association Nationals, and many team members received high marks for their riding skills.
- St. Mary-of-the-Woods selected as technology grant recipient St. Mary-of-the-Woods College has been selected as one of 39 two- and four-year colleges and universities in the United States and Puerto Rico to receive a 2008 HP Technology for Teaching grant.
- After lengthy rain delay, Woods declared national softball champion St. Mary-of-the-Woods coaches and players figured they might play Robert Morris-Springfield again after slipping past that team 2-1 Saturday night in the championship bracket of the U.S. Collegiate Athletic Association national softball tournament.
- St. Mary-of-the-Woods softball moves into USCAA national championship game St. Mary-of-the-Woods put itself in the championship game of the USCAA national softball tournament late Saturday night at Borg-Warner Sports Complex.
- St. Mary-of-the-Woods softball wins first two at national tourney
- Let’s play two! Rose, Woods split softball doubleheader The two Vigo County collegiate rivals split their annual doubleheader, the Woods winning the first game 7-1, before the host Engineers withstood a late rally by SMWC — the final out a bit controversial — to win the nightcap 7-4 on Thursday.
Crosstown rivalry: Rose women roll to victory
Rebounding, rebounding and more rebounding.
Rose-Hulman outrebounded visiting St. Mary-of-the-Woods by a staggering advantage of 55-20 to provide the impetus for a dominating 77-53 victory in the 15th Clabber Girl Trophy women’s college basketball game at Hulbert Arena on Monday.
- More Saint Mary-of-the-Woods Headlines
- Influx of new players has Pomeroys on rise