TERRE HAUTE —
A Feb. 10 open house at St. Joseph University Parish includes a guided walking tour of the Romanesque Revival style building at Fifth and Ohio streets. From 2 to 5 p.m., guides will point out the symbolism in the stained glass windows, the mosaics, identify the saints portrayed in the statues, and explain the other appointments.
The windows were imported from Austria where they were made by the Tyrolese Art Glass Company and were installed during the restoration of the church after a 1934 fire. The main and side altars, the Stations of the Cross and the Wicks organ were also installed at that time. The altars are crafted from golden African onyx quarried in Morocco on the edge of the Sahara Desert.
The St. Joseph parish was formed 175 years ago in 1837 when Bishop Simon Bruté came from Vincennes to meet with the Catholic people of Terre Haute and to say Mass for them. He purchased the land where today’s building stands.
Franciscan Friars have staffed the church and ministered to its parishioners for more than 140 of St. Joseph’s 175 years.
For more information on the tours call Friar John Bamman at 812-232-7011.