TERRE HAUTE —
First Christian Church of Clinton will celebrate the 125th anniversary of its organization, along with the 100th anniversary of the laying of the cornerstone for the present-day sanctuary, during the 10 a.m. worship service on Sunday. The special service will be followed by an old-fashioned carry-in luncheon in the fellowship hall, also 100 years old. Memories will be shared through a display of old church pictures. All members, former members, friends and families are invited.
The First Christian Church of Clinton began in 1888, when the Rev. W.W. Jacobs of Kansas, Ill., organized meetings in homes of members. In 1891, at a meeting in the Presbyterian Church in Clinton, about 100 converts formed the first Church of Christ of Clinton, later to become the First Christian Church of Clinton. Church meetings took place at the George S. Crabbs Hall, located upstairs over his grocery on south Main Street.
In 1893, Emeline Whitcomb donated the present lot at Seventh and Blackman streets, along with $1,000 towards building a Christian church. The building committee was comprised of William Scott, Perry Elliot and Charles Blanford. H.M. Brooks answered the call to minister and dedicated the first building in 1894.
The old church was razed in 1913 and the cornerstone of the present church laid on Oct. 5, 1913, with the Rev. George W. Ruth as pastor. The first service was in the basement, the current fellowship hall, on Jan. 11, 1914, with the dedication service for the completed church on March 22, 1914, by the Rev. Frank Thomas.
The present congregation is led by Pastor Danny Caulkins with the help of the congregation of First Christian Church. Trustees are Jack Acord, Jerry Leister and Neil Woodard. The First Christian Church is a congregation which follows the Bible as its guide, as the founders of this congregation did when it was started in 1888.