Special to the Tribune-Star
ST. MARY-OF-THE-WOODS —
An important facet of the prayer ministry of the Sisters of Providence of St. Mary-of-the-Woods will be reopened to the public on April 6.
During a Vesper service at 4:30 p.m., the National Shrine of Our Lady of Providence will be blessed in its new location in the vestibule of the Church of the Immaculate Conception. The public is welcome to attend the event.
The Our Lady of Providence shrine most recently had been located in Providence Spirituality and Conference Center, but has been moved from that place to make room for the new permanent shrine to Saint Mother Theodore Guerin, which is under construction.
The Our Lady of Providence shrine will include a copy of the painting, “Mater Divinae Providentiae,” composed by Scipione Pulzoni in 1580, the “Book of Intentions,” and prayer candles, which can be lit.
In 1925, the Right Reverend A.J. Rawlinson, chaplain of the Sisters of Providence, went to Rome to promote the Cause of Mother Theodore Guerin, foundress of the Sisters of Providence.
On his way to Rome, Monsignor Rawlinson was a guest at the Catholic University of America.
While there, he saw a copy of the painting.
After his work in Rome was completed, Monsignor Rawlinson traveled to the Church of San Carlo, where the Barnabite Fathers showed him the Shrine of Our Lady of Providence.
The Sisters of Providence shrine was established in 1928 and remained in place in Foley Hall until 1989, when Foley Hall was demolished.
The shrine was then moved to the Providence Spirituality and Conference Center, which became the official “front door,” to the Sisters of Providence community.