Special to the Tribune-Star
ST. MARY-OF-THE-WOODS —
This year 13 Sisters of Providence of St. Mary-of-the-Woods celebrate 60 years in the Congregation. In addition to other ministries through the years, six sisters served in the Wabash Valley, giving 105 total years of service at the places listed below.
• Sister Ann Brendan Burget, a native of Terre Haute, ministered at St. Patrick School in Terre Haute (1967-1974) and at St. Mary-of-the-Woods, Woods Day Care/Pre-School (1987-2005). Burget currently volunteers in The Gift Shop at Providence Center.
• Sister Teresa (formerly Ellen Maureen) Costello ministered in West Terre Haute at Educational Family Services (1995-1996). Costello currently ministers as a citizenship teacher and visitor to the elderly in Weymouth, Mass.
• Sister Elaine (formerly Elaine Marie) Doucette served at St. Mary-of-the-Woods in residential and health care services (1980-1998). She now has a special prayer ministry at the motherhouse.
• Sister Donna Marie Fu ministered in Terre Haute at Sacred Heart School (1956-1957) and at St. Ann School (1972). She currently is a vocation promoter for Asia.
• Sister John Mary Rifner ministered at the St. Mary-of-the-Woods motherhouse in the Transportation Department (1985-2011). She currently volunteers at the motherhouse.
• Sister Martha Ann Rifner ministered at St. Margaret Mary School, Terre Haute (1968-1977), and served at St. Mary-of-the-Woods in the Transportation Department (1987-2001). She continues to serve there in residential services.
Other sisters celebrating their 60-year anniversary are: Sister Mary Catherine (formerly Marie Michele) Duffy, who currently ministers in immigration assistance at Marian Center in Indianapolis; Sister Jane (formerly Dorothy Jane) Gibson, who attended Sacred Heart School and St. Patrick High School, both in Terre Haute, and now devotes time to a special prayer ministry at the motherhouse; Sister Carolyn (formerly John Michael) Glynn, who currently volunteers with Catholic Charities in Bradenton, Fla.; Sister Marilyn Ann Kofler, who volunteers in immigration services in Chicago; Sister Jeanette Marie Lucinio, who currently ministers as director of the office for women religious in the diocesan offices in San Diego, Calif.; Sister Ann Paula Pohlman, who currently tutors at St. Joseph School in Bradenton, Fla.; and Sister Helen (formerly Helen Jean) Vinton, who currently ministers as assistant executive director at Southern Mutual Health Association in New Iberia, La.