TERRE HAUTE —
One Sister of Providence of St. Mary-of-the-Woods recently celebrated her 80th anniversary as a member of the Congregation. Sister Frances Joan Baker is a native of Washington. She currently ministers in prayer at St. Mary-of-the-Woods.
Baker entered the Congregation Jan. 27, 1932, from St. Simon Parish in Washington. She professed perpetual vows Aug. 15, 1939. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education. She received a master’s degree in education from Indiana State University.
Indiana ministries include:
• Richmond: teacher, St. Mary School (1939-1941).
• Vincennes: teacher, St. John School (1941-1944).
• Indianapolis: teacher, St. Thomas School (1953-1958); St. James School (1965-1967); Immaculate Heart School (1967-1968); St. Simon School (1977-1981); Holy Spirit School (1981-1986).
• Washington: teacher, St. Simon School (1968-1974).
• Fort Wayne: teacher, St. John the Baptist School (1974-1977).
• St. Mary-of-the-Woods: director of clothing supplies (1986-1987), pre-school assistant, Woods Day Care/Pre-School (1987-1996); Residential Services staff (1996-2009).
Baker also ministered in Massachusetts, Illinois and North Carolina.