Special to the Tribune-Star
TERRE HAUTE —
It’s a busy week for football coming up with final NFL preseason games, openers for most college teams and the second or third week of high school in the area.
Because of the massive conference shuffling, some college teams will be meeting new opponents this season.
Temple is a new team in the Big East, and South Alabama now is in the Sun Belt. Fresno State, Hawaii and Nevada are in Mountain West, while West Virginia and TCU are in the Big 12.
Massachusetts is playing for Mid-American honors, and Missouri and Texas A&M are in the Southeastern.
Many more changes will be made in 2013.
Indiana and Indiana State open the season at IU. ISU was ranked 173rd
in the first edition of Sagarin rankings. IU was 111st.
Some others: Northern Iowa 89, Illinois 55, Purdue 72, Southern Illinois 131, Eastern Illinois 189, Akron 179, Notre Dame 25, Missouri State 162 and Ball State 113.
Marian University was one of the teams to play last week, and the Knights — ranked third in the preseason NAIA poll — defeated Olivet Nazarene 35-0
for their 16th regular-season victory
in a row.
Peyton Manning had his best outing in Denver’s 29-24 loss to San Francisco. He completed 10 of 12 passes for 122 yards and two touchdowns.
Terrell Owens, meanwhile, was cut by Seattle. He still could be picked by some team but chances may not be good.
Seattle has tabbed rookie Russell Wilson, a third-round draft pick from Wisconsin, as its starter.
In the prep ranks, North Central will play its first home game Friday. The 2-0 Thunderbirds meet 2-0 Tecumseh.
Ben Davis improved to 2-0 with a 21-0 victory over a good Pike team. And Indianapolis Cathedral rebounded from its loss to Ben Davis by beating Warren Central 14-7.
Southmont handed North Putnam a 44-21 defeat and Carmel nipped Valparaiso to go to 2-0.
And so it goes.
• Tom-Cattin’ It — Cincinnati prospect Billy Hamilton has set the minor-league mark for stolen bases with 149 and counting with two teams. Vince Coleman had the old record of 145.
• Tony Stewart has worked hard at developing a new image in NASCAR but the old Tony emerged last week when he tossed his helmet at Matt Kenseth’s car.
• Eastern Illinois has landed Reggie Smith, a transfer from UNLV, in men’s basketball.
• And James Hollowell, former Indy North Central player, has transferred from EIU to the University of Indianapolis.
• Rick Majerus has taken a leave as coach at St. Louis University for health reasons.
• Former Indiana player and Evansville coach Jim Crews will be the interim coach.
• Tennessee lost to Japan 12-2 in the Little League championship game.
Tom Reck may be contacted by telephone at (812) 232-3231, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at 4284 South 5th Street, Apt. 3, Terre Haute, IN, 47802.