TERRE HAUTE —
Because of lots of snow and ice, high school basketball action was limited in the area last week.
This week promises to be a busy one, especially with better weather conditions in the forecast. Some key prep boys games are slated, two of them tonight.
Third-place and championship contests are on tap in the Greene County Invitational at White River Valley with Linton or Eastern going against Bloomfield or Clay City. Semifinals were played Monday night.
In Illinois, Newton is at Marshall in a big Little Illini Conference game. Neither has lost in the league and are the only teams without a loss in the conference.
Marshall takes a 7-4 mark into the game. Newton is 11-2 after nipping Casey 62-60 last week.
Marshall was a winner at Oblong. Some of the starters got in foul trouble and Cotey Thompson came off the bench to score 11 points and grab five rebounds.
The Lions will be at Robinson on Friday — the Maroons lost their first conference game last week — and will play host to Shakamak on Saturday. Robinson is at Casey in another key game tonight and the Warriors are at Olney on Friday.
Terre Haute North is at West Vigo for a Vigo County Series game on Friday. The Patriots play host to Martinsville on Saturday and the Vikings are at Riverton Parke the same night.
Terre Haute South has two home games, meeting Northview on Friday and Guerin Catholic on Saturday.
Terre Haute North’s girls team returns to action Friday with a game at Plainfield and South’s girls are at powerful Lawrence North on Saturday.
West Vigo’s girls began a three-game week at Cloverdale on Monday and will be at North Vermillion on Thursday before returning home to face Turkey Run on Saturday.
We understand a memorial program for the late Jim Jackson is on tap for Saturday afternoon at West Vigo, where he was a principal.
In Illinois, the Marshall girls are unbeaten and looking great. The Lions will begin their bid for another LIC tournament championship on Saturday.
• • •
• ISU at home — Indiana State’s men’s basketball team remains tied with Wichita State for first place in the Missouri Valley Conference standings and the two will meet in Wichita on Saturday.
Before that big one, the Sycamores will face a very good Missouri State team in Hulman Center on Wednesday.
In the current RPI totals, Wichita State is 10th, Northern Iowa 57th, ISU 63rd, and Missouri State 73rd, just behind IU in the 72nd slot.
IU has a big home game tonight, facing Wisconsin.
In this week’s Associated Press poll, Wisconsin is fourth and Wichita State seventh. Iowa moved up to 10th after beating OSU at Columbus.
The ISU women also remain unbeaten in MVC games and tied for first place with Wichita State. The Sycamores play their first road league games at Evansville on Thursday and Southern Illinois on Sunday.
• • •
• Tom-Cattin’ It — Pike, Warren Central and Carmel are the only boys teams without a loss in Metropolitan Interscholastic Conference games. Center Grove is the lone girls team without a league loss.
• Bet you did not know the first softball game was played in Chicago in 1887. It probably was not called softball then.
• Barr-Reeve’s boys team was one of the Indiana teams to compete in the Challenge Cup for Indiana and Kentucky teams in Freedom Hall in Louisville last week. The Vikings lost to Elizabethtown 51-40 as Kentucky teams went 4-1.
• Chad Collins tied for 46th in the Sony Cup played in Hawaii, earning $15,523.20. He had scores of 71-67-68-69 to go 275. Jimmy Walker won with 263.
• Baylor and Connecticut met in a women’s basketball game Monday at Baylor. The Bears had a 69-game homecourt winning streak going into the action.
Tom Reck may be contacted by telephone at (812) 232-3231, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at 4284 South 5th Street, Apt. 3, Terre Haute, IN, 47802.