News From Terre Haute, Indiana

October 8, 2012

Hunter hurt after fall off tree stand

Tribune-Star staff report

JASONVILLE — A hunting accident in Sullivan County sent one man to the hospital Saturday afternoon.

According to a media release issued by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, Donald G. Pierce, 18, Jasonville, was flown to Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis after falling nearly 20 feet from an elevated deer hunting stand. The accident occurred Saturday in a wooded area 4 miles east of Shelburn around Sullivan County roads 325 East and 600 North.

Pierce reportedly managed to call his mother via cell phone, and she in turn contacted a friend who knew his location. Indiana Conservation Officers were contacted at 5:50 p.m. and were still investigating the incident Sunday.

According to the release, Pierce was not wearing a safety harness at the time of the fall. Officers recommend hunters wear body harnesses while climbing trees or hunting from an elevated stand. Falls from stands are the most frequent of hunting-related injuries, according to the release.

Pierce reportedly was taken to the hospital with injuries to his back and lower extremities. A condition update was not available Sunday evening.

No meningitis cases found yet at Union

Tribune-Star staff report

No news was good news Sunday from Union Hospital as Indiana’s fungal meningitis count rose to eight.

Kim Perkins, system director of public relations and marketing for Union Hospital, said no local cases had been reported that evening and the facility will continue to monitor the situation.

Meanwhile, State Department of Health spokesman Ken Severson said Sunday morning that eight cases of fungal meningitis have been found in Indiana, but no Hoosier deaths have been associated with the outbreak that’s spread across nine states, killing at least seven people.

The rare fungal meningitis cases are linked to a steroid produced by a specialty pharmacy in Massachusetts. That steroid has been recalled, and health officials have been scrambling to notify anyone who may have been injected with it. Six Indiana health facilities received batches of the recalled steroid, including Union Hospital.

The type of fungal meningitis involved in the outbreak is not contagious.

Union Hospital officials confirmed Friday that 90 local patients received the drug and all have been identified.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.