News From Terre Haute, Indiana

News

November 14, 2013

Morning Terre Haute house fire blamed on chimney

Single occupant gets out safely

TERRE HAUTE — A chimney fire is being cited as the cause of a fire Wednesday morning at a home in the 1600 block of Spruce Street in Terre Haute.

“It was a chimney fire that spread to the attic,” said Battalion Chief Ron Steiner of the Terre Haute Fire Department.

The home was occupied by one man, who safely left the home, Steiner said.

Firefighters were dispatched at 12:10 a.m. and were on the scene until 1:27 a.m. Fire damage is estimated at $5,000 to $8,000, primarily in the home’s living room area, said Fire Chief Jeff Fisher.

The home’s occupant, Fisher said, was remodeling the house and “had put some wood in the fireplace and had a large fire. It somehow caught the rafters in the attic on fire,” Fisher said.

Steiner said it is important for homeowners to have their fireplace chimneys inspected annually. “The chimney probably has some cracks in it or the liner and probably spread into the attic spaces from there. A chimney should be inspected annually by a certified chimney sweep or cleaner,” he said.

As cold weather hits, Steiner said homeowners should also be careful with the use of electric space heaters. The heaters should not be placed near curtains or other items that can catch fire or in areas in which the heater would be susceptible to being knocked over. Also, heaters should not be placed on extension cords rated below the electrical capacity of the heater.

The American Red Cross Wabash Valley Chapter will provide assistance to the fire victim. “We are responding to that. We possibly will do housing, food and clothing,” said Janice Hawkins, interim disaster service coordinator for the Red Cross.

 

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
News
Latest News
TribStar.com Poll
AP Video
Raw: Man Fatally Shot During Police Standoff Raw: Leopard Bites Man in India S.C. Man Apologizes for Naked Walk in Wal-Mart Bon Jovi Helps Open Low-income Housing in Philly 'Piles' of Bodies in South Sudan Slaughter Stowaway Teen Forces Review of Airport Security Chief Mate: Crew Told to Escape After Passengers 'Miss Meadows' Takes Holmes Back to Her Roots Raw: Tesla Delivers First China Cars Raw: Royal Couple Tours Uluru in Australia Mayor Rob Ford Launches Re-election Campaign Raw: Sinkhole Swallows Part of Fla. Yard Pipeline Opponents Protest on National Mall New Country Music Hall of Fame Inductees Named Hong Kong Residents Help Create Green Roofs Hagel Gets Preview of New High-tech Projects New Yorkers Celebrate Cherry Blossom Blooms Biden: Russia Must Stop Talking, Start Acting David Moyes Out As Manchester United Manager Iowa College Finds Beauty in Bulldogs
NDN Video
Viral: It's Not Pitbull - It's Amy Poehler! Raw: Leopard Bites Man in India Jenna Dewan-Tatum Strips Down Rise of the Milkbots TRENDING: Brian Williams Raps 'Gin and Juice' on ‘Tonight Show’ Middle School heroes rescue students from burning bus WHOPPER OF FISHING STORY: Florida man catches massive Mako shark Maks Chmerkovskiy's "DWTS" Meltdown The many faces of Mike Woodson Ape Builds A Fire And Toasts Marshmallows In Amazing BBC Video Manchester Utd sack manager David Moyes "RHOA's" Dramatic Brawl High school, College Drug Ring Busted In Montgomery County High Court to Hear Dispute of TV Over Internet Raw: Keflezighi, Jeptoo Win Boston Marathon Teen hitchhikes in wheel well of flight from California to Hawaii Lindsay Lohan's Jaw-Dropping Secret President Sends Message To Boston And Marathon Runners LA Pastor Attracts Churchgoers with Pot Lauren Stoner Shows Off Her Incredible Bikini Body
Parade
Magazine

Click HERE to read all your Parade favorites including Hollywood Wire, Celebrity interviews and photo galleries, Food recipes and cooking tips, Games and lots more.
  • -

     

    March 12, 2010

activity
Real Estate News