News From Terre Haute, Indiana

February 26, 2013

Men charged in beatings face August trials

Staff Report
The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — August trial dates have been set for two men charged in the beatings of two people in northern Vigo County.

Jesse Norton, 20, of Marshall, Ill., and David Rayhel Jr., 21, of Terre Haute, appeared Monday morning in Vigo Superior Court 3 where they were both given trial dates of Aug. 6.

Both have been charged with aggravated battery, a class-B felony; battery by means of a deadly weapon, a class-C felony; criminal recklessness with a vehicle, a class-D felony; and misdemeanor battery resulting in bodily injury.

Norton and Rayhel are to return to court Thursday for bond reduction hearings. They are both being held in the Vigo County Jail with bail set at $50,000, no 10 percent allowed.

They were arrested after the Vigo County Sheriff’s Department responded to a call about 3:15 a.m. Feb. 17 in northern Vigo County. Upon arrival, police found two victims of the alleged battery lying beside the roadway. A 26-year-old man had received serious injuries and was airlifted to an Indianapolis hospital. A 23-year-old woman was treated at a local hospital for her injuries.

Police were told that the alleged victims and suspects had been at a party on Rio Grande Road in northern Vigo County. The two victims left the party location but were pursued in a vehicle by the suspects, police said. The victim’s vehicle was allegedly forced off the road, and the alleged battery followed.\