News From Terre Haute, Indiana


April 16, 2014

Graduation rates fall at three big Vigo high schools

TERRE HAUTE — The Indiana Department of Education released graduation rate data Tuesday for the 2012-2013 school year.

The overall graduation rate for all schools was 88.6 percent, virtually unchanged from the prior year’s rate of 88.7 percent.

For the Vigo County School Corp., the overall graduation rate in 2013 was 91.1 percent, down from 93.4 percent in 2012. In 2011, it was 88.4 percent.

n At Terre Haute North Vigo, the overall graduation rate was 91 percent, down from 94.4 percent in 2012.

n At South Vigo, the overall graduation rate 92.1 percent, down from 93.6 percent the year prior.

n At West Vigo, the overall graduation rate was 94.7 percent last year, down from 97.4 percent in 2012.

n At Booker T. Washington, the overall graduation rate was 90.5 percent, up from 89.5 percent the year before.

n At McLean, the overall

graduation rate was 59.3 percent, down from 69.8 percent in 2012.

At Washington, the cohort size was 21 students and the number of graduates was 19. At McLean, the cohort size was 27, with 16 students graduating.

Karen Goeller, VCSC deputy superintendent, pointed out that the districtwide scores, as well as the scores of the three larger high schools, are above the state average.

“Our high schools should be commended for having many different strategies in place, from a comprehensive Link Crew mentoring program to individual counseling, to support students during their four years in high school,” she said.

The Student Services department has outreach liaisons who visit homes of absent students to emphasize the importance of staying in school. The district also collaborates with the Vigo County juvenile probation department to improve student attendance.

The Vigo County School Corp. district graduation rate of 91.1 percent is competitive with that of other large urban districts, according to Goeller: Indianapolis Public (68.3 percent); Fort Wayne (90.7 percent); Evansville (81.9 percent); South Bend (72.4 percent);  MSD Wayne (87.2 percent; MSD Lawrence (87.0 percent); MSD Perry (91.7 percent); Hammond (74.2 percent); and Elkhart (84.6 percent).       

Statewide, data show that the state’s nonwaiver graduation rate was 81.7 percent, up from 80.5 percent in 2012.

Nonwaiver data is important for federal reporting requirements and providing a fuller picture of the number of students who are successfully passing end-of-course assessments.

In Vigo County, the nonwaiver graduation rate is 82.6 percent, and the waiver graduation rate is 8.5 percent. Those two rates add to the overall 91.1 percent rate.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Latest News Poll
AP Video
Crashed Air Algerie Plane Found in Mali Raw: Iowa Police Dash Cam Shows Wild Chase Dempsey: Putin May Light Fire and Lose Control In Case of Fire, Oxygen Masks for Pets Police: Doctor Who Shot Gunman 'Saved Lives' Israel Mulls Ceasefire Amid Gaza Offensive Raw: Big Rig Stuck in Illinois Swamp Anti-violence Advocate Killed, but Not Silenced. Arizona Prison Chief: Execution Wasn't Botched Power to Be Restored After Wash. Wildfire Raw: Air Algerie Crash Site in Mali Raw: Protesters, Soldiers Clash in West Bank Mobile App Gives Tour of Battle of Atlanta Sites Israeli American Reservist Torn Over Return 'Modern Family' Star on Gay Athletes Coming Out Calif. Police Investigate Peacock Shooting Death Ohio State Marching Band Chief Fired After Probe MN Twins Debut Beer Vending Machine Raw: Ukraine's Donetsk Residents Flee Gaza Residents Mourn Dead Amid Airstrikes
NDN Video
Big Weekend For Atlanta Braves In Cooperstown - @TheBuzzeronFox Chapter Two: Becoming a first-time director What's Got Jack Black Freaking Out at Comic-Con? Doctors Remove 232 Teeth From Teen's Mouth Bradley Cooper Explains His Voice in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Deja vu: Another NYPD officer choke-holding a suspect 'Fifty Shades of Grey': Watch the Super Sexy First Trailer Now! Reports: Ravens RB Ray Rice Suspended For 1st 2 Games Of The Season Air Algerie plane with 119 on board missing over Mali Diamond Stone, Malik Newman, Josh Jackson and others showcase talent Free Arturo - The World's Saddest Polar Bear A Look Back at Batman On Film Through The Years LeBron James -- Dropped $2k On Cupcake Apology ... Proceeds To Benefit Charity Snoop Dogg Says He Smoked Weed at the White House Raw: Fight Breaks Out in Ukraine Parliament Chris Pratt Interrupts Interview To French Braid Intern's Hair Shirtless Super Mario Balotelli Dances While Ironing - @TheBuzzeronFOX Whoa! Watch "Housewives" Star Do the Unthinkable LeBron apologizes to neighbors with cupcakes Justin Bieber In Calvin Klein Underwear Shoot

Click HERE to read all your Parade favorites including Hollywood Wire, Celebrity interviews and photo galleries, Food recipes and cooking tips, Games and lots more.
  • -


    March 12, 2010

Real Estate News