TERRE HAUTE —
Plea agreement reached in 2011 beating death
A plea agreement has been filed for a man accused in the April 2011 beating death of a Terre Haute man.
Anton Grant, 44, formerly of Lafayette, is scheduled to return to Vigo Superior Court 1 on Oct. 31 for a sentencing hearing.
The plea agreement filed Monday calls for a 10-year prison term for a guilty plea to aggravated battery, a class-B felony. The plea agreement dismisses a murder charge.
Grant was arrested for allegedly beating Raymond Hamilton, 53, with a shotgun in the early morning hours of April 3, 2011, at Hamilton’s apartment in the 1100 block of Seventh Avenue. Hamilton died a few days later.
At the time of the incident, Terre Haute Police stated that Hamilton was able to give police the name of a suspect in the case, and told police that he had been beaten with the butt end of a shotgun.
Grant had been set to go on trial Oct. 15.
Stabbing reported at Federal prison complex
An inmate at the Federal Corrections Complex in Terre Haute was injured in an apparent stabbing at about 2:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Prison spokesman Marvin Pitt said the stabbing was the result of a fight between two inmates. No staff members were involved or injured.
An inmate was transported for treatment but was to be returned to the facility. Pitt declined to say in which unit the incident occurred.
Public hearing scheduled for Nevins intersection
A public hearing is to be scheduled for input on establishing a three-way stop at the intersection of Roberts and Robertson roads in Nevins Township.
The Vigo County Board of Commissioners on Tuesday voted to take steps to add the stop signs, which includes seeking public comment.
County Engineer Jerry Netherlain told commissioners the intersection “is geometrically strange, which made a traffic warrant study difficult.” The engineer recommended making the intersection a 3-way stop.
For additional information, contact the commissioners office at 812-462-3367.