Special to the Tribune-Star
TERRE HAUTE —
Terre Haute Fire Department Capt. Bradley Doan and firefighter James Likens received Firefighter of the Year awards Tuesday night during the eighth annual Terre Haute Firefighters Recognition and Commendation Dinner sponsored by First Financial Bank.
Kent Baumgartner was named EMT of the Year. Capt. Russell Feuquay received the Fire Chief's Exceptional Service Award.
Firefighters, family members, friends and community supporters celebrated the accomplishments of more than 100 individuals and groups during the event in Sycamore Banquet Center, Hulman Memorial Student Union, Indiana State University.
Event dignitaries included Jon Swaner, WTWO-TV, master of ceremonies; THFD Chief Jeffrey Fisher; Terre Haute Mayor Duke Bennett; Donald E. Smith, chairman of the board and president of First Financial Corp.; and Gary Foust, THFD chaplain, who provided the invocation. Retired fire chief Rick Lasky, Lewisville Fire Department of Lewisville, Texas, was guest speaker.
Special presentations preceding the awards to firefighters included: Kayla Nicole Lewis Civilian Award, Tim Eggers; THFD Community Service Award, Scott’s Custom Colors and Auto Body Inc.; and Civilian Service awards, staff of Terre Haute North Vigo High School, employees of B & B Food Distributors Inc. and employees of Ultimate Fitness.
Other Terre Haute Fire Department commendation awards winners were:
• Honorable Discharge Medal for retiring with a minimum of 20 years service: Quartermaster Ricky Buddle, Battalion Chief Robert Kiefner and firefighter Tim Tennant
• Academy Award: probationary firefighters Zachary Beckner, Josh Cottrell, Bertran Hay, Andrew Lumaye, Mathew Osborne, Christopher Overpeck, Bram Sanders and Brenton Lloyd
• Paramedic Certification Award: firefighters B.J Barnes, Kevin Courtney and William Roberts; and probationary firefighter Josh Cottrell
• Education Award: firefighter Herbert Kalen
• Natural Disaster Award, Henryville Tornado: Chief Jeffrey Fisher; Battalion Chief Robert Kiefner; and Captains Russell Feuquay, Dave Roach and Fred Hamblen
• Natural Disaster Award, New York/New Jersey Hurricane Sandy: Capt. Russell Feuquay; firefighter Kevin Courtney; and probationary firefighter Josh Cottrell
• Honorable Service Award: Capt. William Berry
• Crystal Lake Unit Citation Medal: Battalion Chief Ronald Steiner; Captains Bradley Doan and James Utz; Lieutenants Coby Perrelle and Jeffrey Wineinger; and firefighters Lewis Price, Troy Shipley, Clifford Phillips, Aaron Swayze, Brock Marietta, Samuel Johnson and Gregg Lawson
• Graham Grain Unit Citation Medal: Capt. Dave Roach; Lt. Douglas Curry; and firefighters Larry Akers, Scott Mellenthin and David Palmer
• Garfield Towers Unit Citation Medal: Chief Jeffrey Fisher; Deputy Chief Phillip Prouse; Assistant Chiefs Donald Stewart, Brett Doan, Kevin Price and James Kane; Battalion Chiefs John Long and Nick Sarris; Investigation/Prevention/Inspection (IPI) Rick Hayne; Captains Bradley Doan, Jeffrey Clark, Scott Dalton, Howard Stott, Donald Milner, Fred Hamblen, Russell Feuquay, William Berry, Jay Umbaugh and Paul Watson; Lieutenants Phil Vansant, David Black, Joseph Swan, Coby Perrelle and Douglas Curry; firefighters James Likens, Donald Seprodi, Gene Knezevich, Darren Scott, Michael Auler, Dennis Stewart, Richard Gallagher, David Euratte, Edward Lewis, Jason Hay, Robert Malone, Nicholas Arnold, Matthew Likens, James Harrah, Gary Foust, Samuel Johnson, Gregg Lawson, William Roberts, Rodger Plunkett, Kyle Pettijohn, Paul Chalos, Michael Dammann, Charles Karr, Brian Harper, Floyd Mason, Stephen Kane, Daniel Smiddy, Kenneth Ladd, John Bull, Glen Hall, Robert Johnson Jr. and Terry Coker; and probationary firefighters Andrew Lumaye, Josh Cottrell and Bertran Hay
• Terre Haute North Vigo High School Life Saving Award: firefighters Douglas Wuestefeld and Matthew Likens
• Garfield Towers Life Saving Award: Captains Bradley Doan, William Berry, Jeffrey Clark, Scott Dalton and Paul Watson; and firefighters James Likens, Charles Karr, Stephen Kane, Floyd Mason, Donald Seprodi, David Euratte, Terry Coker, William Roberts, James Harrah and Rodger Plunkett