Clark County, Ill.
• Parke County Covered Bridge festival activities, including communitywide yard sale, antique tractor and engine show, parade, canal tours and cornbread and bean dinner, Montezuma.
• Hay Ride & Haunted Woods presented by Phoenix Theatre and Westfield Improvement League, includes weiner roast and refreshments, adults, $5, ages 12 and under, $4, 6 to 9 p.m., Mill Creek Park, Marshall, Ill.; www.clarkcountyparkdistrict.com or 217-889-3601.
• Flea and Farmers Markets, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., 115 W. National Ave., Brazil, 812-240-3572.
• Downtown Farmers Market, fresh fruits and vegetables, organic meats and eggs, live plants and herbs, alpaca fleece, 8 a.m. to noon, Clabber Girl parking lot, Ninth and Cherry streets; interested participants call 812-299-5404.
• Terre Haute Children’s Museum, will partner with ISU Center for Mathematics Education to kick off “Go Figure” program, 1 to 2:30 p.m., 727 Wabash Ave. 812-235-5548.
• Free computer lab for job search purposes, daily, also access to phone for local calls; resumé building software and self-taught tutorials, 9 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., Wabash Valley Goodwill Industries, 600 S. Third St., 812-235-1827, ext. 236.
• Pets Alive Spay/Neuter League, registration for low cost spay/neuter of dogs and cats, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Pet Food Center, 175 W. Honeycreek Parkway. For more information call 812-235-6465.
• Strike Out the Burn bowling tournament presented by the Terre Haute Firefighters Bowling Association, $25 per person or $125 per teams of five, 1 p.m., Vigo Bowl, 812-208-3350.
• Vigo County Green Party meets, 2 p.m., Coffee Grounds, 423 Wabash Ave., 812-239-2760.
• Memorial and benefit auction to help the family of Terre Haute resident Gregory Lewis Sanders Sr. with his funeral and burial expenses, 3:30 to 6 p.m., TK’s Sports Grille, 724 N. Fruitridge Ave.; donations also may be made online at donations.hismessageforyou.com or by contacting Megan Sanders at 812-391-5317 to donate via a bank account provided by JP Morgan Chase; or by mail to JP Morgan Chase, in care of His Message for You Ministry, #424383755, 550 K Street, Los Banos, CA 93635; all donations received by His Message for You Ministry through Oct. 31 will benefit the Sanders family donation drive.
• Unhaunted Halloween Happenings, featuring train and hay rides, $2 each, Halloween story in Fort Harrison room, movie, and pumpkin contest, 6 to 9 p.m., Deming Park, 812-232-0147.
• Shadow Asylum haunted house event to benefit United Cerebral Palsy of the Wabash Valley, $10 admission, 7 p.m. to midnight, 949 N. 10th St., for more information visit www.shadowasylum.net or call 812-234-5620.
Clark County, Ill.
Blake Griffin remembers when he and his brother, Dale, would ride their bikes along wooded trails in the wilderness area of Fowler Park.
Officials say city ‘overspent’
Two Terre Haute councilmen told the Taxpayers Association of Vigo County Thursday they think the city is overspending, but they gave no solutions to reduce expenses.
Block downtown to close for repairs
A sinkhole is forcing the temporary closure of a major downtown street beginning Monday.
Wave of retirees at Vigo schools
Valarie Bailey has worked for the Vigo County School Corp. for 26 years in roles that included at-risk counselor, school social worker, assistant student services director and curriculum coordinator.
Fire house to fire dept.
A legal battle has been resolved to restore ownership of the community fire station in Fayette Township.
14th Street, from Oak to Poplar streets, will be closed from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Aug. 9 for Friends and Family Weekend.
August Fire Safety Tip
Monthly safety hint — Barbeque/grilling safety
Westminster Village, a Terre Haute retirement community, is investing $1.8 million to construct 12 new villa homes, officials announced Wednesday.
Decades later, dry cleaners leave blemish
Fifty years ago, about 30 dry cleaners did business in the city of Terre Haute. City officials are now cleaning up the mess some left behind.
MARK BENNETT: Year of River sets example for state
Terre Haute pays more attention to the Wabash River these days.
Climate of less regulation, more chemical spills leaves ‘historical pollution,’ NCA director says
Former dry cleaning sites are an environmental problem all over the state, according to the Indiana Department of Environmental Management.
Camping turnout low for first half of summer
Camping revenue for the past two months has dropped in Vigo County parks, a downturn park officials say is difficult to attribute to a new park policy limiting campers’ stays to 14 days in the three county parks.
Devastating fire takes out mobile home
A Seelyville mobile home sustained heavy damage in a fire early Wednesday morning.
Lost Creek Township firefighters were called to the scene in the 2200 block of Tabortown Road south of U.S. 40 at about 2 a.m.
Man posts bond after fatal wreck
An Oct. 7 trial date has been set for a Terre Haute man accused of driving while intoxicated causing death.
Driver injured, airlifted, cited for failure to yield
An elderly woman was injured in a crash Wednesday afternoon in Sullivan County, according to Indiana State Police.
Bobby “Slick” Leonard was the main attraction but his hometown, Terre Haute, was constantly in the background as friends, fans and family gathered in Indianapolis Tuesday night to honor the man famous for the words “Boom Baby.”
Sister-city students get a dose of ‘new culture’
One of Juri Sawada’s dreams has been to visit America.
Motion delays trial for 2012 homicide
A man who has been jailed about 20 months in connection with the homicide of his wife will not go on trial next week as scheduled.
Sheriff charged in prostitution case
Clark County Sheriff Danny Rodden has spent more than 30 years in law enforcement working to protect the public from criminals, but on Tuesday he was treated as one.
Vigo Parks dishing out the sweetness
Vigo County Parks and Recreation has made a “sweet” addition to its maple syrup production at Prairie Creek Park.
Danny Rodden indicted on federal charges
Instead of overseeing the operations of the Clark County jail and police force Tuesday, Clark County Sheriff Danny Rodden found himself being transported by the FBI to Indianapolis to answer federal charges.
Woman’s condition ‘fair’ after grocery store wreck
A Terre Haute woman was listed in fair condition Tuesday at Eskenazi Health in Indianapolis as the result of injuries sustained in Monday’s accident on the Baesler’s Market parking lot.
Semi driver cited for alcohol use
A commercial vehicle driver has been placed out of service after he tested positive for alcohol consumption during a Tuesday morning traffic stop in Sullivan County.
Church to give out school backpacks
United Methodist Temple will stage its first-ever Back-2-School Bash from 5 to 7:30 p.m. on Aug. 9.
The church is located at 5301 S. U.S. 41.
Bus safety features
New safety features on South Vermillion School Corp. buses have led to fewer disciplinary problems and fewer incidents of motorists illegally passing stopped school buses, officials say.
Humvee driver says foot caused fatal accident
Kyle Pendergast, 22, the Terre Haute driver of a black Humvee charged with operating a vehicle while intoxicated causing the death of a teenager, has told police he could not turn the wheel before the vehicle flipped in a field in an early Saturday morning accident.
Cleaner may have contaminated water
Groundwater and soil testing is set to begin within a week to learn whether toxic chemicals might have seeped into the wells of a small southside neighborhood and even beyond.
Housing Authority’s Warren Village nearing completion
Construction on the newest Terre Haute Housing Authority property – Warren Village – should wrap up next month, a housing authority official said Monday.
Observers predict ‘wide open’ process of picking next chief
State Supreme Court Chief Justice Brent Dickson surprised observers in June when he decided to step down after a brief tenure as the state’s top judge.
Multi-vehicle accident in parking lot
A woman was hospitalized with injuries after a multiple-vehicle accident late Monday morning in the Baesler’s Market parking lot on Poplar Street
- More News Headlines
- Trail blazers