News From Terre Haute, Indiana

June 25, 2013

Woman suffers 1st-, 2nd-degree burns in 4th St. fire Monday


The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — An early Monday fire at a four-unit apartment building resulted in the injury of one occupant.

At 6:45 a.m., Terre Haute firefighters responded to the 500 block of South Fourth Street for a fire in a second-story apartment, and spotted a 23-year-old woman leaning out of a second-story window.

Fire crews put up ground ladders and carried the woman down to an ambulance. She was transported to a hospital, and then transferred to an Indianapolis hospital with first- and second-degree burns to her arms and lower body.

THFD Chief Jeff Fisher said that firefighters quickly knocked down and extinguished the fire.

The cause has been ruled as electrical overload.

Terry Jones of the rental company Jones Property and Investments told the Tribune-Star that the residents of the other apartments will likely be relocated to other rental units. The fire was mostly contained to the unit where it started.

Firefighters left the scene at 8:50 a.m.