News From Terre Haute, Indiana

January 23, 2013

Convicted carjacker sentenced to 20 years in prison

The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — A Terre Haute man has received a 20-year sentence for two gun-related crimes.

Tony Lynn England, 42, was given an eight-year sentence for pleading guilty to criminal recklessness, a class-C felony, in a March 2009 robbery and carjacking in which he shot a man while two other people took the man’s wallet and car.

England was also given a 12-year sentence for unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon for a January 2012 incident in which he pointed a handgun at a woman.

Judge Michael Lewis ordered that England serve eight years of that sentence in prison, followed by four years on formal probation. The sentences are to run consecutively, giving England 16 years in prison and four years on probation. However, he also receives credit for more than 1,000 days spent in jail awaiting trial.

In the 2012 case, Terre Haute Police investigated a report that England pointed a firearm at a woman at a house on Maple Avenue after he went to that home looking for an occupant of the residence. The alleged victim stated that England tried to enter the home, and when the woman shoved him back, he allegedly pulled out a silver handgun and pointed it at her before leaving.

A warrant for England’s arrest was issued after that incident, and police soon located him in the back seat of a vehicle pulled over during a traffic stop. The same silver handgun allegedly used in the earlier incident was found in the back seat of the vehicle near England. Drug paraphernalia was also found, police report.

England was arrested on charges of unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon, a class-B felony, and possession of paraphernalia, a class-A misdemeanor.

The March 2009 case stems from an incident in which England allegedly shot a man in the abdomen at England’s home on South 12th Street. The victim told police that he went to England’s home and was attacked by another man and woman once he entered the residence. That man and woman took the victim’s wallet and car keys from his pants pockets, and then stole the victim’s car.

The victim told police that after he ran from the residence, England followed him and shot him. The victim was treated at an area hospital and has since recovered.

Charges of attempted murder, carjacking and robbery were filed against England for the March 2009 incident, but due to a “paperwork error” in the language of the charges filed, the case was dismissed in January 2011. The charges with the corrected language were immediately filed again against England, but due to the time restraints on prosecuting a criminal case, England had to be released from the Vigo County jail. The January 2012 incident occurred days later.

England has a 1995 conviction for armed robbery in Vigo County. He was sentenced to 14 years in prison, and according to the Indiana Department of Correction website, he was released in March 2009, about two weeks prior to the shooting incident.