TERRE HAUTE —
Terre Haute Wayne Newton Post 346 split a pair of games at the American Legion Moline Tournament on Saturday.
Post 346 fell in its first game 4-2 at the hands of host Moline Post 246. Post 346 recovered and won its nightcap 5-2 against Elgin, Ill. Post 57.
Post 346 went 3-1 in pool play.
In the game against Moline, Post 346 faced pitcher Matt Brill, who was chosen in the 24th round of June’s Major League Baseball draft by the New York Mets.
On Saturday, Cody Brock was a combined 4-for-6 with two doubles in the two games.
Post 346 plays Wheaton, Ill. at 12:30 p.m. today in a semifinal. If Terre Haute wins, it will play the winner of Moline and Elk Grove, Ill. in the championship game.
Post 346 000 110 0 — 2 9 1
Moline Post 246 010 201 X — 4 5 0
L — T.J. Decker (4-1-1).
Highlights — For Post 346, Cody Brock was 2-for-3 with a double; Connor Pierce was 2-for-3, Cody Thornton was 2-for-4.
Elgin Post 57 000 101 0 — 2 6 1
Post 346 122 000 X — 5 10 2
W — Pete Lannoo (2-3).
Highlights — For Post 346, T.J. Dekcer was 2-for-3, Zach Milam was 2-for-4, Jacob Johnson was 2-for-4, Cody Brock was 2-for-3 with a double.
Next — Post 346 plays Wheaton, Ill. today in a Moline Tournament semifinal.
• Eckert, Goatee winners — At Clay City, Jonah Eckert and TaPring Goatee were the male and female winners of the Mayberry 5K run on Saturday.
Mayberry 5K results
1. Jonah Eckert 17:58.2; 2. Janzen Franklin 18:40.2; 3. TaPring Goatee 19:45.8; 4. Steve Eckert 20:01.3; 5. Mallory Sanders 20:20.5; 6. Travis Strauch 20:29.9; 7. Pam Pell 20:49.1; 8. Ethan Banister 21:17.8; 9. Joe Sanders 21:33.5; 10. Melanie Laswell 21:53.9; 11. Aaron Gadberry 21:55.5; 12. Hannah Bunch 22:05.7; 13. Keeliegh Stigall 22:23.5; 14. Morgan Morris 22:37.6; 15. Jarrett Fischer 23:04.3; 16. Dakota Robinson 23:06.1; 17. Jason Laswell 23:42.8; 18. Ian Gadberry 24:11.8; 19. Hicham Rahmouni 24:24.1; 20. Maddie Plant 24:31.0; 21. Briana Keilly 24:46.5; 22. Emma Sappington 24:58.1; 23. Josh Goldner 25:32.1; 24. Katie Urban 25:32.2; 25. Mircea Kippes 25:43.4; 26. Tristan Kippes 25:45.3; 27. Alex Hughes 26:06.8; 28. Paul Spinner 26:08.1; 29. Jo Borman 39:27.0.
• Boespflug a winnner — At Putnamville, Chad Boespflug was one of the winners in racing Thursday at Lincoln Park Speedway.
Boespflug won the 30-lap feature for U. S. Auto Club sprint cars with Tyler Courtney second and Jon Stanbrough third with 41 cars in the field.
Dave Darland was seventh and has a 35-point lead over Bryan Clauson going into Indiana Sprint Week action.
Fast qualifier — Richard VanderWeerd
Heat winners — Daron Clayton, Chase Briscoe, Bryan Clauson, Jeff Bland Jr., Tyler Courtney (semi)
Feature — Chad Boespflug, Courtney, Jon Stanbrough, Hunter Schuerenberg, Kevin Thomas, Robert Ballou, Dave Darland, Tracy Hines, Clauson, Brent Beauchamp, Chase Stockon, Chris Windom, VanderWeerd, Bobby East
USAC sprint point leaders — Darland 804, Clauson 769, Thomas 754, Stockon 744, Brady Bacon 739
Heat winners — Brian Hayden, Randy Shuman, Dan Lewellen, Mike Bechelli (B-main)
Feature — Chad Combs, Kenny Carmichael Jr., Wes McClara, Kenny Carmichael, Paul Bumgardner, Rob Fuqua, Hayden, Kasey Schrock, Larry Lambert, Scott Ricketts
Heat winners — Steve Peeden, Mike Staggs, Roy Bruce Jr., Troy Clark, Jake Leitzman (B-main)
Feature — Leitzman, Scott Carrington, Carmichael Jr., Chad Nolte, Dan McCullough, Scott Wisman, Harry Shepherd, Jason Massie, Eric Bowman, J. R. Watkins
• Windom wins — At Bloomington, Chris Windom was one of the feature winners in Friday's racing at Bloomington Speedway.
Windom won the main event for sprint cars. Other winners were Derek Gilpin and Troy Clark.
Heat winners — Jon Stanbrough, Hunter Schuerenberg, Kevin Thomas, Bradley Sterrett, Brandon Mattox (B-main 1), Casey Shuman (B-main 2)
Feature — Chris Windom, Kyle Cummins, Stanbrough, Robert Ballou, Dave Darland, Chase Briscoe, Brady Short, Ethan Barrow, Chase Stockon, Thomas, Sterrett, Shuman, Aaron Farney, Shane Cottle, Dakota Jackson
Heat winners — Devin Gilpin, Collin Thirlby, Derek Groomer
Feature — Gilpin, Thirlby, Chad Combs, Richie Lex, Kenny Carmichael Jr., John Demoss, Kenny Carmichael, Larry Lambert, Randy Tarter, Jake Humphrey
Heat winners — Jack Frye, Roy Bruce Sr., Chris Hillman
Feature — Troy Clark, Rick Gumm, Aaron Fields, Steve Hollars, Travis Todd, Tyler Loughmiller, Chip Slagle, Bob Sample, Hillman, Josh McDaniel
• Hagen posts win — At Belleville, Ill., Darren Hagen won the feature race in U. S. Auto Club midget racing Friday at Belle Clair Speedway.
Hagen led all but one lap in the 30-lap main. Chris Bell was second.
More racing was set for Saturday at the track.
Fast qualifier — Chris Bell
Heat winners — Tim Siner (qualifying race), Daniel Adler (qualifying race), Bryan Clauson, Caleb Armstrong, Justin Grant, Bubba Altig, Zach Daum (semi)
Feature — Darren Hagen, Bell, Brad Kuhn, Ryan Criswell, Nick Knepper, Andrew Felker, Tracy Hines, Clauson, Jerry Coons Jr., Danny Stratton