Tribune-Star staff report
TERRE HAUTE —
A natural gas leak caused the temporary evacuation of three homes in Terre Haute on Thursday morning.
The leak, discovered in the 1600 block of Crawford Street, was quickly isolated and repaired, allowing the evacuated homes to be reoccupied, said Chase Kelly, director of corporate communications for Vectren Energy Delivery.
A Vectren contractor smelled gas while doing inspection work and called 911 and Vectren Corp. to report the leak, Kelly said.
Police and fire units were on scene, and Crawford Street was temporarily closed while crews dug to locate and repair the leak, which was caused by a 4-inch crack in a cast-iron main running under the street, Kelly said.
As a precaution, three nearby homes were evacuated, and crews used detection equipment inside the homes to make sure there was no gas inside, she said.
“We always take gas leaks very seriously,” Kelly said. Thawing and subsequent shifting of the earth after the unusually cold winter can sometimes cause gas lines to rupture, she said. It’s more common for water lines to break under these conditions, but it can also happen to gas lines, she said.
The current change to warmer weather has caused other such breaks throughout Vectren’s service area, Kelly added.
Vectren encourages customers to always report any possible gas leaks. That is a 24-hour service with no fees, she said.
To report a possible leak, call Vectren any time at 1-800-227-1376.