News From Terre Haute, Indiana

October 13, 2013

Burn barrel ignites Honey Creek home

Staff Report
The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — A family escaped from a fire unharmed early Saturday morning on Terre Haute’s south side, authorities said.

The Honey Creek Fire Department said the structure fire, which was determined to be an accident, occurred around 4:13 a.m. at 1295 Clover Court in Garden Quarter.

Authorities said the home was occupied at the time of the fire, but one family member, a daughter, notified the others of the fire, enabling the family to escape.  

The Honey Creek Fire Department said one firefighter was injured and transported to the hospital for minor injuries. The firefighter has been treated and released.

Upon arrival, firefighters found a working fire, which came from the back of the structure. Crews entered the structure, and the fire was found to be running the attic. The fire had vented itself through the roof, and there was a partial collapse of the roof and ceiling materials while crews were on the inside fighting the fire, according to the Honey Creek Fire Department.

The fire department said materials left in a burn barrel had not been properly extinguished, from which the fire  traveled up an exterior wall and into the attic space.

The Honey Creek Fire Department “would just like to remind people that if they are going to use burn barrel or burn on your property, please remember to make sure all hot embers have been extinguished before leaving it unsupervised.”

The family involved was assisted by the American Red Cross.