News From Terre Haute, Indiana

March 5, 2013

Unrelated gun incidents leave two people dead, another injured

Lisa Trigg
The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — Handguns were factors in three unrelated incidents investigated by local police agencies last weekend.

An Indiana State University student died in a Friday night incident at an off-campus apartment in the 800 block of North 61⁄2 Street.

Brandon Perrine, 21, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound that, police said, appears to be accidental.

Terre Haute Police Assistant Chief Shawn Keen said that Perrine shot himself in the head, according to witnesses.

Perrine resided at University Village Apartments, a non-university-owned complex located north of the campus. He was originally from Greenfield, Ind.

Keen said that no other information about the incident was being released.

ISU issued a formal statement on Monday: “President and Mrs. Dan Bradley and the entire University community offers our deepest condolences to the family of Brandon Perrine including those members of his fraternity, Alpha Tau Omega.

THPD also investigated a separate shooting incident on Saturday afternoon at the Lange Apartments in northern Terre Haute.

Keen said that at least two people witnessed a man intentionally shoot himself in the head. The man later died at an Indianapolis area hospital.

That person is not being named in accordance with Tribune-Star policy on suicides.

And at 5:17 p.m. Sunday, the Vigo County Sheriff’s department responded to a gunshot wound complaint at Certainteed Industries at the Vigo County Industrial Park.

Chief Deputy Clark Cottom reported that deputies found John McCombs, 64, of Terre Haute, with a gunshot wound to his lower right leg.

McCombs, a security guard at the business, told police that he had been handling his .22-caliber revolver in the parking lot while standing next to his car. McCombs stated that he dropped the revolver and that it discharged, causing a bullet to strike him in the calf of his leg. He was treated on scene by Honey Creek Fire personnel, and was transported by ambulance to Terre Haute Regional Hospital.

McComb’s weapon was secured at the sheriff’s department for safe keeping following the incident. No criminal charges are pending, and foul play was not detected, Cottom said.

Reporter Lisa Trigg can be reached at 812-231-4254 or Follow her on Twitter @TribStarLisa.