News From Terre Haute, Indiana

January 30, 2013

Central-city apartment house fire displaces one

Staff Report
The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — An apartment house fire Tuesday in the 100 block of Kent Avenue was limited to the bedroom of a man who used a bucket full of cigarette butts as an ashtray.

The fire started just before noon after the man put out his a cigarette in the approximately three-gallon bucket, which contained about 500 cigarette butts, said Jeff Fisher, Terre Haute city fire chief.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire, with damages limited to the man’s bedroom.

The two-story house has eight apartments, and all residents were able to return to their units, except for the man who lived in the apartment where the fire occurred.

The man’s bedroom had “minor damages,” and needs to be cleaned and painted, Fisher said.