News From Terre Haute, Indiana

Local & Bistate

January 30, 2013

Central-city apartment house fire displaces one

TERRE HAUTE — An apartment house fire Tuesday in the 100 block of Kent Avenue was limited to the bedroom of a man who used a bucket full of cigarette butts as an ashtray.

The fire started just before noon after the man put out his a cigarette in the approximately three-gallon bucket, which contained about 500 cigarette butts, said Jeff Fisher, Terre Haute city fire chief.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire, with damages limited to the man’s bedroom.

The two-story house has eight apartments, and all residents were able to return to their units, except for the man who lived in the apartment where the fire occurred.

The man’s bedroom had “minor damages,” and needs to be cleaned and painted, Fisher said.

 

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local & Bistate
Latest News
TribStar.com Poll
AP Video
Passengers Abuzz After Plane Hits Swarm of Bees Disbanding Muslim Surveillance Draws Praise Hundreds Missing After South Korean Ferry Sinks Boston Bomb Scare Defendant Appears in Court Pistorius Trial: Adjourned Until May 5 Raw: Urinator Causes Portland to Flush Reservoir Diaz Gets Physical for New Comedy Raw: Ferry Sinks Off South Korean Coast Raw: Pro-Russian Militants Killed on Base Captain of Sunken South Korean Ferry Apologizes Miley Cyrus Still in Hospital, Cancels 2nd Show New York Auto Show Highlights Latest in Car Tech Today in History for April 17th Raw: Three Rare White Tiger Cubs Debut at Zoo Pope's Relic on Wheels Departs to Rome Raw: Fatal Ferry Boat Accident Hoax Bomb Raises Anxiety in Boston Raw: Blast at Tennessee Ammunition Plant Kills 1 Freeze Leaves Florida Panhandle With Dead Trees Egypt Clamps Down on Mosques to Control Message
NDN Video
Parade
Magazine

Click HERE to read all your Parade favorites including Hollywood Wire, Celebrity interviews and photo galleries, Food recipes and cooking tips, Games and lots more.
  • -

     

    March 12, 2010

activity