News From Terre Haute, Indiana

May 7, 2014

Cause of Wednesday chlorine gas leak unknown


The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — A chlorine gas leak caused a brief hazardous material situation Wednesday morning near First and Locust streets.

Indiana American Water Co. reported the chlorine gas leak at about 8:20 a.m., said battalion chief Nick Sarris of the Terre Haute Fire Department. Firefighters wearing hazardous materials suits and self-contained breathing apparatus entered a building and shut off a valve, stopping the leak, he said.

The cause of the leak was unknown, Sarris said.

City streets around the area were closed for public safety, but were reopened soon after the leak was contained and the gas had dissipated.