News From Terre Haute, Indiana

August 21, 2013

Cuts mean 700 fewer Indiana children in Head Start


Associated Press

---- — INDIANAPOLIS — Officials are estimating that automatic federal spending cuts will mean about 700 fewer Indiana children being able to take part in Head Start preschool programs this school year.

The National Head Start Association says those cuts totaling 5 percent of its $8 billion budget will reduce the program size by about 57,000 children nationwide.

Indiana Family and Social Services Administration spokeswoman Marni Lemons says those programs in the state have reported about 100 jobs could eliminated.

Family Development Services director Diane Baker tells The Indianapolis Star that the Indianapolis agency is eliminating 100 Head Start spots even though last year it had more than 1,000 children on its waiting list.

Bloomington’s South Central Community Action Program is suspending transportation, cutting 30 students spots and laying off 15 staffers.