Check smoke detectors and change the batteries, if needed.
When changing a 9-volt battery, put a piece of electrical tape over the terminals of the bad battery.
There’s a fire, what next?
• “Get out” — Alert your family and get out.
• Go to your predetermined meeting spot and make sure everyone is accounted for.
• Call 911 when outside of the burning structure.
• Don’t worry about possessions; they can be replaced.
• Do not go back in for pets; they will hide. Your family needs you more.
If you need help checking or installing a detector, or you would like to donate to the “Protect the Precious” program, contact the Terre Haute Fire Department at 812-244-2803.