News From Terre Haute, Indiana

April 19, 2013

Shooting follows alleged break-in

One man killed, another sent to Indy hospital


The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — One man has died and another is hospitalized after they were shot by a homeowner during an early morning alleged home invasion.

John T. Gregory Jr., 26, of Terre Haute, has died after being shot in the torso. An autopsy was conducted Thursday in Marion County.

Reginald L. Wood Jr., 22, of Terre Haute, remains in Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis with a gunshot wound to the torso. His condition is unavailable.

Assistant Chief Shawn Keen of the Terre Haute Police Department told the Tribune-Star that officers were sent to the 1000 block of North Eighth Street at about 2 a.m. today on a report of two men who had been shot.

Police then received another call from the 1000 block of North Eighth Street by a homeowner, who reported that two men had kicked in the door of his residence and that he had shot them.

Gregory had fled the shooting scene to a home nearby. Keen said police are trying to determine his connection to that home.  Wood went to Union Hospital for treatment. Both men were transferred to Indianapolis area hospitals for treatment.

Keen said the investigation is ongoing, and statements are being taken. No arrests have been made. The Vigo County Prosecutor’s Office responded to the scene along with police.

Keen said there is no indication that the homeowner knew Wood or Gregory, and there is no indication of drug or other criminal activity at the scene of the break-in.